Chapter 17:

The ride towards my destination was long and painful. I was constantly turning my head, trying to catch sight of David.

When I finally arrived, I could see
Just how much everything had changed. I wasn't sure how long I was gone, but it felt like years.

My old apartment building was just as run-down as I remembered. But it reminded me of the time in my life where everything was going smooth. I had ran away from the life I didn't want.

All I wanted was my freedom. From the very start, I never had it. Then I met David, and I did everything I could for him, which included selling my freedom away, again.

This was my start fresh. Or at least it was supposed to be.

I climbed up the stairs, eyeing the same cracks that I used to trace with my fingers. In a few more steps, I would reach what used to be my apartment. It was probably taken, but I had to see it. I stared at the door, and tried to gather enough courage to knock.

As I lifted my knuckles, I sighed.

I walked back down those steps and walked down the sidewalk, still remembering where my job was.

I paused as I stood in front of it.

What used to be a bright, warm place for me to live a normal life, was now cold and dull.

It had been shut down. Though I wasn't sure why, I felt my heart sink.

I wish I could've gone in at least once before it closed.

I turned away, my eyes closing as a soft breeze calmed me down.

Oh well.

I opened my eyes, and turned.

I knew someone was following me. Ever since I got off that bus.

"Cody." They greeted, as if we were old friends.

"Layne. Are you here to kidnap me?" I joked.

He raised a brown.

"Kidnap you? I should, shouldn't I? After you ran away. Twice, in fact."

I looked away. I hadn't seen my brother in years, and the first thing he does is scold me.

"I hated it there, and you know that. But you didn't care. You tried to sell me off to some guy. And you didn't care that he was hurting me either. You sent someone after me, and manipulated me for so long. You knew I was stuck in that horrible deal, and you didn't care. Of course I ran away. I've always hated you, because you never cared."

He looked unaffected by my words, which I had already predicted, but I held my ground.

"Let's just go back. You know they won't find you."

"No. No I don't. How do you know they won't? They found me here. How do you know they won't me back at that shithole?"

His eyes shifted and I felt my heart pound. Why did he make that face?

"Layne... How did they find me here? I left no trails, as far as I'm aware. And I had only contacted one person since I ran away."

David.

I shook my head as I jumped to all sorts of conclusions in my head. It was starting to hit me clue after clue.

"Did you tell them where I was? You sent David to keep an eye on me, so you must've known where I ran to."

Layne suddenly broke his silence.

"I did it to make sure you didn't die somewhere. We all know how stupid you can be."

"Don't change the subject. You knew where I was, no matter where I went. So, how? How did you know?"

His face didn't change.

I clenched my fists as I began to think.

"Were there people watching me? People that I thought I trusted? Were there people watching me no matter where I went?"

I already knew the answer.

He needed to know where I was no matter where I went. Though I wasn't sure why.

Though I had my conspiracies.

"You can forget it. I'm not going back there. Ever."

By now, I was growing cautious. If he was keeping an eye on me, that must mean there would be other people around here, watching, and ready to act.

I turned my back and walked away, deciding I wouldn't stand for this any longer.

"Dad... Always did say you were too much of a troublemaker to let loose." I suddenly heard.

My eyes widened at the mention of the man I had tried so hard to forget.

Men suddenly appeared, seemingly from the shadows. They were prepared to force me to cooperate with my dumb brother.

I sighed before turning. "Fine. I'll go... Calm down."

Yeah, I said I would never go back.... And I wasn't.

The second they lowered their guard as two men escorted me to the van that wasn't there when I arrived, I swiftly slapped the man that was clinging onto my wrist, and ran.

There were so many people after me, but I knew this small city better than all of them. Not to mention I was constantly running away from someone....

I neared the alleyway I always visited on my way home from finishing errands, a sleek and dark place that had a broken fence that I could squeeze into.

But they were gaining on me, and I was starting to feel an ache in my legs.

But I ignored that pain, quickly passing through the gate, and continued my sprint.

Sure enough, I could no longer hear footsteps or heavy breathing, and as I took a good look at where I was, I sighed in relief.

I was near a police station.

But.... Could I trust them? If was getting harder and harder to trust anyone. I was feeling more paranoid then ever.

What if they could help me? But what if they knew who was after me? Layne had enough influence, even if this was an unfamiliar area to him.

I was chewing on my nails at this point, debating with myself.

What to do....

Ugh.

I was lost.

No one to trust, no one to call.

All I have is myself.

I stood up, staring at the sky that was beginning to look a little cloudy.

I took one step in a random direction, the dangerous thoughts running through my head like a raging sea.

"Time to do what I do best. Escape this small world."