033

on the rebel base...

At some point, Luke laced their fingers together

At some point, Luke laced their fingers together. She felt a bit of electricity sizzle between their palms, the warmth from his hand causing her cheeks to redden. He noticed, because of course he did, and pulled her closer to him. She almost feared that the two of them would lose their footing and topple over. The end of the corridor was approaching, though, so she wouldn't have to worry about her balance escaping her for too much longer. Once they reached the docking bay, he would release her, and they'd act just as bashful as the always did when someone quirked an eyebrow in their direction.

Only, Luke didn't let go. He maintained his grip on her, and now she really did begin to panic. Everyone would see. She felt a headache approaching, chewing her bottom lip nervously. When they entered the docking bay, they'd all frown at her, wondering why Commander Skywalker would want anything to do with someone who had no place in this galaxy. He could be with anyone else, she realized. He should be with someone else. A diplomat, a general, a pilot, a person who could offer him some sort of stability, more support than she could—

"Is this okay?"

The question startled her out of her thoughts, her attention now on his concerned blue eyes.

"Yeah, I just—I dunno, I'm...insecure?" 

"Why?" he asked, and she felt her heart swell at his naivety, his innocence. She often worried that he'd been losing his childlike curiosity as he grew wiser, but in times like this, when she was able to catch a glimpse of it once more, she couldn't help but to grin.

"Because you're Luke Skywalker. Everyone's gonna be mad if you've got a girl under your arm. They're gonna think you're off the market or something."

"Well, they'd be correct."

"Ah, you're so charming. You make me swoon. Fine, you can hold my hand in public."

She expected him to beam at her, as he usually did, but he only sent her a small smile. It didn't quite reach his eyes.

They walk into the docking bay, their fingers interwoven as if they were some sort of couple. Everyone seemed generally relieved at the sight of Luke, the knowledge that the man who blew up the first Death Star would be partaking in the destruction of the second one being somewhat reassuring. Many of these people would fall soon, she realized. They'd already lost some during her time here, but she didn't even want to imagine the casualties that would come about during an actual battle. She hoped it wouldn't come to that.

She tried to stop herself from grinning when she made eye contact with a familiar face in the far corner. Emily waved excitedly at her, Gredge's jaw hitting the floor as he stared. Mitchell pinched the bridge of his nose, pulling out a few credits and slapping them into the palm of Emily's hand begrudgingly. The three of them seemed to be transporting supplies, stacking crates and loading them onto carts before rolling them away.