Chapter 15

Opening his eyes for the first time in sixteen hours, Sam blinked rapidly, trying to get used to the bright lights in the hospital room.

"Buck?" He rasped out, throat dry.

"I'm here," Bucky said, handing him a plastic cup of water. Watching his partner drink the entire thing at once, Bucky sighed, heart throbbing at what he could have lost. "How are you feeling?" He asked.

"I'm okay, real question is, how are you feeling? I know seeing me like that would have been traumatic for you." Bucky chuckled sadly, only his boyfriend would be more worried about his own feelings rather than his wellbeing. Sam watched as Bucky's laugh turned into a small sob, making him sigh. "Baby, come 'ere." Bucky rested his head against Sam's chest, muttering into it quietly. "You'll have to speak up, love, can't hear a word ya sayin'."

Lifting his head, Bucky whispered; "I just hate thinking about what would've happened if I was too late. I can't live without you, Sam." Sam sighed, pushing Bucky's head back onto his chest.

"I know, baby, I know."

Steve sat by YN's bed, watching the female agent eat a sandwich silently. YN could feel his gaze burning into the side of her head, and it was making her highly uncomfortable.

Throwing the remnants of her sandwich down, YN addressed the quiet captain. "Alright, what is it? Spit it out."

"Nothing." Came Steve's blunt reply.

"Bullshit. You've said barely two words to me since I woke up. What crawled up your ass and laid it's salty eggs?" Steve frowned at her, making YN more agitated. After another tense few minutes, YN huffed. "Steve."

"Did you have to shoot him?" He blurted. YN started at the blonde man, her stomach curling.

"Excuse me?" She responded, glare as sharp as a blade.

"Julian. We could have used him to uncover more HYDRA branches." YN was shocked, how could he be so cold?

"That's why you're mad at me?" She said, voice cold.

"I'm not mad, I just wish you'd think things through before you acted on them. We aren't murderers, YN. " Steve was really getting on YN's nerves now, her veins burning within her.

"I had no choice." She said, trying to get through to him.

"You always have a choice, YN. You chose to shoot Julian, whilst he was unarmed." YN blinked, heart sinking at his words.

"Get out." She ordered.

"Wha-" Steve started.

"Get. Out." Steve sighed, lifting himself from the chair. "And until you realize what you just said was majorly arrogant and wrong, we are done. Don't talk to me unless it's business." Steve stopped at the door, hand resting on the door handle.

"Whatever you want, Agent." As Steve left the room, YN let several tears escape her eyes, running over her bruised skin.

Steve walked through the halls of the hospital, moving toward Sam's room. As he entered, he saw Bucky coddling over Sam, making sure his pillow was plumped and his cup was filled with water.

Sam grinned when his eyes landed on his captain. "Steve, man! How are you? Is YN awake? How is she? She went through hell, man. She is so badass." Steve slumped into a chair, resting his chin on his palm.

"She's awake." He replied bluntly, ignoring Sam's other multiple questions.

"You okay, brother?" Sam asked, wincing as he lifted himself up further.