two: birds and one stone

It was an unforgettably unforgettable night; if such a thing exists. Strange things began to happen, and she wasn't prepared to deal with them one by one.

Instead, she focused her attention on the English Class homework.

What is the best thing about being a teenager?

This was one of many questions that had plagued Yzabel's head earlier in the day.

Ang dami ko na ngang iniisip dumagdag pa 'to.

Because the question didn't make sense to her, she laughed cynically. Perhaps she's laughing alone in the canteen because she's still suffering from a bad headache from the night before.

Why the hell would you find the best in something that you hate? Something that makes you feel the worst. It was what she wanted to write down.

Nothing appeared to fit as the girl emptied her mind for explanations. Everything was just a flashback of the night before.

She kept repeating the unexplained question in her brain during lunch, and she couldn't eat the chocolate cupcake she'd been craving since discovering it at the convenience store, a place where she attempts to escape the realities of adolescence. The chilly C2 bottle was also left unopened.

The girl tapped her pen on the table repeatedly while staring blankly at the blank bond paper. They had a month to submit the 300-word essay.

"Hi." She was only able to squeak out. Yzabel lifts her head up to her eyes. "Puwedeng umupo?" The girl opposite of her simply nodded without saying a word.

"What's up?" Oh nothing, just trying to answer this damn essay so I don't have to worry about it for the rest of the month and finally have a good school year! She thought. "Tinatapos ko lang 'tong essay. Ang hirap ng tanong, 'no?" 

"Dali nga eh. Natapos ko na." Those words came out of Denise's mouth like they didn't offend the girl in the slightest. But it really did. Then she wondered why of all people, she was the one being approached by the president. Of course, last night. They actually bonded despite her disfavor for the girl.

"Do you need any help?" Little Miss President Pretty asked. I know you're degrading me right now. 

But maybe a little help wouldn't be so bad. She couldn't think of a single thing to write on the still blank paper.

"Hindi, okay lang. I'm sure marami kang kailangan pang gawin bilang student council president." Yzabel forced her a smile to get it over with and to signal that she wanted her to leave, yet she didn't. She just sat there.

The girl pretends to write something on the paper by lifting her pencil slightly and scribbling. But the president could see her act. "What do you want from me?"

"I— well.." She took a quick pause, "Do you have any idea what happened last night by the way? My head still hurts. All I remember was walking into Gwen's house and then... That's it."

"Uh.." A lot of things happened, yes, but she was not ready to summarize it all for her right now. She called a taxi last night and brought Denise and Miho home. The president was her unusual, drunk self, Miho was sober and tired. But she couldn't say that or she'll probably humiliate herself in front of the girl, showing that she cared for her when deep in her guts, she swore she disliked her.

"Nothing, you just rubbed your smart-ass in my face all night."

"I'm not like that.

"Sure you aren't." She speaks with a sarcastic tone. "I'm not the perfect girl everyone sees me as." Oh, I know that, I've seen you drink one shot of vodka, pull my leg, and cry.