C h a p t e r 49

Chapter 49 : MadelynMonday, August 9th, 2021

Monday, August 9th, 2021

While I didn't know what to expect when coming here, nothing could have prepared me for the way my heart physically ached at the sight of my men.

Dressed from head to toe in black and dark red, they looked amazing in the perfectly tailored suits I'm assuming Xavier's father forced them to wear.

Three gazes hold on me as looks of surprise and sadness are thrown my way.

I could feel their eyes as if it were their hands touching my body, but I refused to let any emotion show on my part.

I wouldn't give Vincent the satisfaction.

Despite his unnervingly luring smile, he's not fooling anybody that he's anything more than a conniving snake.

Ignoring the men's pained looks and Vincent's one of amusement, I walked over to the table of untouched food and empty plates, despite it being close to eight o'clock.

"My my," Vincent says with a tone that makes my blood boil, but I force my expression into neutrality, "I hope you didn't dress so nice for our sake, though I'll admit you sure know how to—"

"Don't worry, I didn't." I flash him a sickly sweet smile, trying to contain the bile rising in my throat.

Asshole.

Xavier had risen in his seat at his father's words, but I didn't need him to defend me, and I sure as hell didn't need Vincent thinking I couldn't hold my ground.

So that's what I did as I held his stare, moving to sit down in the only other place at the table with a plate.

"Pardon you?" He says, his body entirely calm, though I could feel the disbelief radiating off of him.

"I got this dress a few weeks ago for myself is all I mean," I continued to hold his gaze as I pulled out the chair beside him and took a seat, "Though I suppose you did give me an excuse to wear it. I'm assuming your offer of dinner still stands?"

It took every ounce of control and sheer will within me to not fold under his stare, and surprisingly, he was the one to break away first.

I knew I was taking a huge gamble talking to him like this, and I saw that in the tense yet prepared states of the three men across from me.

It looked as though they were readying to leap across the table in between Vincent and myself as Xavier's father remained deadly silent for a moment's breath.

Then, he burst out laughing as if my presence alone was the most entertaining thing he's seen all year.

I haven't yet looked directly at any of my men, but I could see the lethal glint in their eyes, even from Caleb who's barely said a word today.

The loud display of amusement echoed throughout the house, similarly to the way it did this morning as well.

Nothing stopped the goosebumps from rising on my arms as Vincent turned his head back to me.