Part 3.3

The first thing I notice is the smell. It's damp, but not exactly fresh. It smells of rain-soaked earth and green things, but there are hints of spice in it too. I cover my nose with my handkerchief.

The guide eyes Onyx with amusement. "I did not expect you to bring a cat, sharima," he says.

"Onyx won't be any trouble." Addy assures him. "He and Lily are inseparable."

I grunt. When I think of Onyx, the word "inseparable" isn't what comes to mind. "Insufferable", maybe.

The guide grins at Onyx. "Take care where you step, little cat. There are snakes about."

Onyx humphs. There is no snake in this world who can stand against me.

We'll see how he feels when he gets bitten. And I just know he's going to get bitten.

Addy brushes a cluster of red, fan-shaped blossoms out of her way. "I hope Hami isn't planning anything grand."

"The hamima awaits your arrival with much joy," the guide tells her. "With your father gone, and your sis..." He gives a strangled cough. "With your father gone, her tree-spot can be lonely."

Addy bites her lip. "At least we're here now," she says.

I lean over to whisper to her. "If you're feeling guilty, don't. You offered her a place in Zilitron. She turned it down."

Addy brushes another flower cluster out of her way. This one's the same lilac as my hair, and shaped like a bouquet of stars. "I'm all Hami's got," she responds.

I'm expecting a gathering of some sort. Addy is, as the old chief's first daughter, the leader of this tribe, after all. Her mother leads in her place, but Addy's officially number one.

When we get to the settlement all I see is the glow of tree tents.

"Welcome to Ta-mamau," the guide announces, grinning that big grin of his.

A young girl with streaks of black hair comes tearing down the pathway. "Addy, look! I've got black sparkles in my hair, like Maya Cerberus." The girl beams.

"They're beautiful," Addy tells her.

"My hami said I could have them just for tonight."

Addy's hand pauses over the girl's head. "Why? What's happening tonight?"

The girl's face breaks into a wicked grin. "It's a secret," she says.

She bounds away down the path.

"I told Hami we didn't want some big party," Addy sighs. "I don't know why I even bother."

Who says we don't want a party? Onyx argues. I would love to sample the full range of rainforest cuisine.

I snort. "What are you going to do, hold a fork in your paws?"

Onyx ignores me. I would be delighted to try your spotted frog soup. I have heard many good things about it.

"I'll make sure you get as much frog soup as you want." Addy scratches him behind the ears.

Spotted frog, remember.

I roll my eyes. Who the heck wants frog soup?

There is a rustle of scales.

"I am aware of your distaste for our food, Lily. There is a village nearby if you insist on something more...urban."

I cringe.

It's Addy's mother. Her smile is drier than a week-old cupcake.

"Hami!" Addy bounds forward and throws her arms around her. "I've missed you so much."

"As I have you, shari." Queen Irine draws back from her embrace and takes a good look at her daughter. "You look well. I trust you have focused on your career this year?"

"I'm always focused, Hami."

"Really? There weren't any..." Her mouth twists into a rueful smile. "...distractions?"

I can feel her eyes on me.

Onyx nudges me with his nose. Hee hee hee.

"Addy's a well-regarded Witch Doctor," I pipe up.

Queen Irine regards me. Her skin is a dark gold, and sparkles in a way that can't be natural. She has a waist-length flow of hair the deep, luminous blue of summer dusk.

The Mamauri don't have hair in fire quartz colours. Their gene pool has been spared the infiltration of magical energy. It meant that their hair was always yellow or black.

Queen Irine, on the other hand, wasn't one to melt into the mundane. The woman was basically a clump of charms with a face and legs.

"Addy has told me you have been reinstated," she says. "You must now learn to stand on your own two legs."

What does she think I'm standing on now? Chocolate pudding?

Tell her how you haven't burned any buildings down yet. That's sure to impress her.

I give Onyx my deadliest scowl.

Queen Irine draws her snakeskin robes around her. "There will be a feast tonight in your honour. I have laid out dresses for the both of you. The cat can attend if he behaves." She gives Onyx a sly wink. The guide begins to escort her away from us, but she pauses. "Lily?"

"Yes?"

"There will be seven kinds of frog soup. Do be wary of the aroma."

Her smile is downright diabolical.

*

"She's a hypocrite," I announce, poking at the fabric of the dress Queen Irine has left for me. "She parrots what everyone else says about resisting the outside world, but did you see all the charms on her? A bit much for someone who doesn't have any need for fire quartz, don't you think?"

She has always been a glamorous woman.

It's just me and Onyx. I waited till Addy left to badmouth her mother. I'm polite like that.

"She says one thing and does another, Onyx. I wonder if she has any true values at all."

Well, she hates you. That is certainly true.

"The feeling's mutual." I grumble.

The dress is made of iridescent snake scales. I'm loathe to wear it. Addy says the snakes around here shed their skin, and the old husks are used to make clothes.

So I'll be wearing dead skin.

I feel like a princess already.

Just put the dress on.

"Um, no. Aside from being the ugliest thing I've ever seen, it's uncomfortable and it itches. Queen Irine can deck herself in charms - why can't I wear my Zilitron clothes?"

Onyx yawns. This is going to be an interesting trip.

I'm surprised Big Boss let me come. He was surprisingly agreeable about it. He talked it up better than a tourist brochure. If I didn't know any better, I'd think he had a reason for wanting me to come to this particular place.

You'd think that a place called the Forest of Sorrows should be avoided. I don't know why it's called that, but I can guess at the reason. Itchy clothes, snarky queens, and bugs galore. Who wouldn't be miserable?