forty one

"hey, uh- hermione is it?"

she looks up at you from her book. you wish it weren't so, but it seems quite a few of the gryffindors gape up at you too.

"what's a snake doing here?" you hear someone snarl. the lions are baring their teeth.

"y-yes. hermione granger." she stammers, brushing a thick brown curl out of her brown face. "why?"

she seems startled.

you'll ease her into it.

"i didn't mean to disturb your reading," you start, looking down at the book she had previously had her nose buried in. the subtlety of charms- one of bathilda bagshot's books. "it's just that i thought you should have this back-"

you don't place the quill down on the table but hold it out in front of her- prompting her to take it from you. you notice her take it from you slowly, and notice that her large brown eyes flicker down when your palms briefly touch.

she seems slightly less startled now. this is working.

"oh," she breathes, looking at the brown shiny quill. "i didn't realise i had left it behind."

"it was still on your table when you left charms and i figured i should just pick it up and hand it back to you at lunch." you smile, warmly. it's genuine and she relaxes- feeling it.

"thank you. i appreciate that." hermione smiles back.

"i uh- i've seen that book in my father's library-" you try keep the conversation going, taking a seat opposite her. she doesn't seem put off at all. "i was going to read it."

"oh it's great," hermione gushes. "absolutely changed the way i understood wand movement and incantation."

"you recommend it then?" you grin, and she nods.

"definitely."

"don't ask her about her books." you turn and ron's freckled nose is scrunched up. "she'll go on for ages."

"ron." harry scolds, nudging the ginger boy.

"what? it's true." rons defends.

"whatever." harry rolls his eyes at his bestfriend.

"i think i'll read it now, hermione. i'm sure my father has a copy in his quarters." you say and she looks up at the teachers table.

"you know..." she says slowly. "i don't really see a resemblance."

"yeah, he told me once that i looked just like my mother. won't tell me much about who she was, though."

hermione's eyes fill with pity. just what you needed.

"oh," hermione stammers. "that- that must be- hard."

"it gets depressing sometimes, not knowing my mother. but, it's what i'm used to- i don't moan about it." you shrug.

you hadn't realised it till now- but this is the first time you've thought about your real mother since you got here.

you decide you don't enjoy it.

"i'm here to talk if you ever need it, y/n." hermione tells you, her voice determined.

there it was. result.

"thank you. you've no idea how much that means to me." you answer, speaking only the truth.

she really does have no idea how much a friendship with her means to you- means to this entire world. if there was anyone that could help you save this place, it was hermione granger.