Chapter 59: Saving Another Life Again

The smart Raon only spoke into Cale's head when there was someone unfamiliar nearby.

– There is a lifeform inside this cave. Although it is almost dead, thankfully, it is not a corpse that you fear.

'I do not fear corpse, Raon.' Cale shook his head and didn't correct the misunderstanding. 'Let's my child protect me. I could just be the most cowardly person.'

Pssssssss. Pssssssss. Cale could hear something dragging inside the cave.

Cale decided to stand and watch the situation first.

Psssssssss. Pssssssss. Pssss. That dragging noise became more urgent and the lifeform revealed itself before Cale.

The lifeform that revealed itself started to speak in a shaking voice. "P-Please save me."

Ah. A gasp came out of Cale's mouth. The lifeform had a salty smell to it. It was the smell of the sea. 'No way.'

"There is something I must accomplish. I, cannot, d-die here!"

A human looking existence, with its horrendously scratched up leg dragging behind it, approached Cale.

There was a green fluid on the scratches that made the existence continue to vomit up blood. That was clearly the work of a mermaid.

"P-please-."

It was a Whale. This beautiful human with messy hair that was crawling toward Cale with his hands, was a Whale.

– Human, save him. Why are frozen still like that?

Cale snapped out of his trance at Raon's question inside his mind. An injured, almost dead, member of the Whale Tribe had revealed himself to Cale.

That Whale's pupils were accurately looking at him. He also seemed to be putting strength into his hands, as Cale could see the Whale's fingers digging into the ground. His strength was unbelievable even though he seemed to be close to death.

He had a single question on his mind. 'A Whale tribe member being hurt by mermaid poison?'

An answer quickly floated across Cale's mind. Mixed blood. That was the only possible answer.

Cale quickly thought through the contents of [The Birth of a Hero]. There were no mixed-blood characters in the Whale Tribe that was almost as low in number as the Dragons.

'But there was one that died.' Cale started to frown in worry. He approached the Whale to see the his condition. 'I can not let him die here. He might be the only chance to get the Whale king's favor.'

The Whale could not move anymore. His body started to shake without being able to do anything else.

At that moment, Cale heard Raon's voice in his head.

– Human, are you able to help?

Cale nodded. "Wait, first."

"Hey." Cale crouched down and moved the messy hair away from the Whale's face.

The Whale human who was shaking on the ground slowly lifted his head. This long-haired man really lived up to the stories about how the Whales were so beautiful that they made elves look like squids. Such a beautiful man was looking at Cale.

"...Save-"

Cale answered with soothing tone in his voice. "Don't worry. I'll save you."

A mixed-blood Whale human. Cale knew that it might be more painful for this Whale to be alive than to die in the next few moments. He was sure that the Whale knew this to be true as well.