Chapter 24: Qamar

MAEVE

I rush through the hallways of this stupidly big estate. I take a turn down a hall and end up in the kitchen, I can't even think clearly.

I continue to walk, rubbing my eyes at the same time. I bump into something and fall down. I open my eyes and see Courtney on the floor as well. Her purse lays on the ground right next to her, all of its contents scattered out all over the marble floor.

"I'm so sorry!" I yelp, immediately picking up her stuff. We both stand and she snatches the things out of my hands and shoves them into her purse. "Sorry," I repeat.

Courtney grabs my jaw viciously, her nails digging into my skin, "I don't want your fucking 'sorry'." She shakes my head vigorously, "I wanted you to leave!" She screams before storming away.

I rub at my sore jaw, what the hell was that?

I sigh, looking at my feet. I catch something in the corner of my eye, drawing my attention. Under the kitchen table is a small bag. I get down on my knees and pluck the small pouch from the floor then I stand to my feet.

White pills?

I hold the bag into the light and wave it around slightly.

Why would Courtney have pills for? They don't look like any pills I've seen before either.

I clutch the bag tightly, walking in the hallway. I head into the game room and spot Alessandra and Sabrina right away.

"You're back!" Alessandra gleams.

"I-I um, j-just ran into Court-ourtney." Sabrina scoffs, rolling her eyes. "th-these fe- these fell out of Courtney's bag... now if you'll excuse me I'm having an anxiety attack- oh- and Gio's my cousin... haha..." I laugh humorlessly, walking out of the game room without hearing any response from the girls.

They probably said something but I'm definitely not in the right mind to pay attention to any of it.

I run up the grand staircase and into Elias's office. I dig through his desk drawers and pull out one of my inhalers, quickly sucking down the medicine, calming myself down.

Why does he have zip ties in his drawer?

I sit in Elias's chair and slump down.

What seems like forever passes and the door of Elias's office swings open. Elias's eyes widen in shock, but soften soon after, "hey Piccolina," Elias smiles, walking over to me.

I look away from him, staring at my hands, "why didn't you tell me?" I ask, almost pleading.

"Tell you what?" He asks, standing opposite the giant mahogany desk.

"Gio."

He bites his lip and draws in a quick breath, "fuck... I didn't think it was my place, I was going to talk to Sabrina..." I hide my face in my palms and choke up a cry. Elias's giant hand lands on top of my head, "are you upset with me?" Elias asks, leaning on the desk. I shake my head, pressing my forehead against his stomach, "then why are you crying?" Elias combs my hair with his hands.

I turn my head up, peering at Elias, "I'm happy." I clutch onto Elias's dress shirt.

"Alright, come on." Elias grabs me by the waist and lifts me up, switching our positions and setting me down on his lap as he takes a seat in the office chair. Elias sighs, unbuttoning his shirt. I narrow my eyes at him, wiping my tears away, "what? I'm uncomfortable, and don't act like you don't like what you see," Elias smirks.