Chapter 3

I repeated the words "Qabool hai" 3 times.

I picked up the golden fountain pen and signed my name on the piece of paper.

I was now his.

Kitna naseebo sai lar lege hum

One tear dropped on the paper.

Another one fell as well.

It was enough to mark the nikah nama as unwanted.

It was enough to mark the marriage as doomed.

But Alayna didn't know that.

But did Zunair know?

The nikah had been done and pleasantries had been exchanged.

I hadn't met him yet.

But that was yet to come.

I was taken to my room where two maids were packing my suitcases.

I just sat there, starting into space.

It'll only be a short amount of time before I leave.

And never come back.

Pulling me out of thoughts was a massive crash. I looked around and the box that my mother had gifted to me was laying on the ground.

Anger sprouted in my body. How dare they?

I turned to the maid with a malice look in my face. "How dare you? HOW DARE YOU? Get the FUCK out of my room!"

My anger knowing no bounds as they quickly scampered to save their lives.

I started throwing things across the room. Smashing everything that was possibly breakable.

My legs buckled and I ended up on the floor. Sobbing, tears cascading down my cheeks, no one could save me now. "Mum! Mum... why did you leave me? Allah! Why are you so zalim?" I screamed to the heavens above.

Hoping He would hear. And He did. But the answer to my pleas would come in time. A time that would be just perfect, but I didn't understand that.

I still don't.

A few minutes went by as I laid in the floor, silent tears decorating the floor.

A knock on the door. The resounding noise of feet walking across the floor. Someone crouching down and icing my hair from blocking my sight.

I heard a sigh when I made it clear that I had no intention to move. My arm was grabbed and was pulled to face my phupo Zara.

She met me with a solemn smile and a tight hug.

"I have something to tell you." She whispered. One thing I knew about my phupo was that she was meek woman. You could talk over her, walk over her, belittle her and she still won't stand up for herself. And it worries me.

What happened to her for her to reach such a stage?

"Alayna I love you. I practically think of you it my own daughter. You were always a light in my darkest of days. But I've hidden something from you. All of us have."

"What?" I ask curiously. But you know what they say curiosity killed the cat.

In this case it killed my heart. 

"Your...your mum was in your exact same position 20 years ago." 

My face dropped, she can't be telling the truth. 

"I am," she nodded confidently. It's not a nice truth, but it's your truth. My truth everyone's truth.  You simply can't escape it." She sighs looking down.