103. Beautiful Eyes

ROZIE's POV

"So, you're Rozie right?"

She sat right next to his son, all poised, with perfectly drawn eyebrows arched at me. Her expensive, well-manicured nails tapped on the table, ready to claw the blood from my veins.

I held my breath and stayed still, thinking any sudden movement would bring me to my end. My hands remained on my lap, one on top of the other, as I awaited another word from my teacher who's extremely full of terrors.

I didn't do anything wrong, but why do I feel like I'm about to be tormented? I shouldn't have come.

I began to reflect again on how poor I am with making life choices while I continuously feel her eyes looking at me, uncovering all of my dirty little secrets.

"The food ain't any good?" She was asking about the food but her gaze travelled from my face down to the details of my dress. I swear it's like being stripped naked. So awkward, God damn it.

"No." I quickly responded, in fear that any delay just might get me closer to my casket.

"I meant yes." I changed my answer. Was No the right thing to say? I can speak fluent English but here I am now, struggling with my grammar.

"It's... it's delicious." I ended up saying. But she didn't seem to like my hesitation.

"You haven't touched it though." Her unconcerned, vulture eyes sent me signals that it is almost dinner time.

"She did. She did." Jungkook came to my rescue. "I just gave her more of mine." He said matter-of-factly. She pursed her lips together, not seeming to like how his son joined the conversation.

Jungkook, please save me from your mother. I plead silently.

"You know Adeul," She placed one hand on his shoulder. Oh no. Is she going to shut him up?

I took a couple of spoonfuls just to show I wasn't lying about anything.

"This isn't..." Her eyes went through the food laid out across the table. I can feel the noodles coiling in my throat.

"... isn't the catering service we always have." Jesus.

"Really? This isn't Hae In's? I couldn't tell." Jungkook indulged.

"Hae In's business just went down the drain for some reason. I actually feel sorry for her. They've been doing this for decades and just like that, all gone."

I was quite relieved her attention wasn't on me even just for a brief moment. You guys just talk and pretend I'm not here all you want. Being a wallflower is one of my expertise.

But Jungkook just can't take his eyes off me. This isn't me bragging. While Mrs. Jeon spoke, all focused on his beloved son, he'd look at her fleetingly and drift back to me as if I'd disappear in a split second.

As I silently chewed, totally minding my own business, he folded the napkin in half and dabbed it gently at the sides of my mouth. I almost choked. Good thing my reflexes didn't make me shove his hand away.

"That's too bad." He went on with the conversation like nothing happened. While her mom appeared to be displeased with his gentleman act, I downed the entire glass of water within reach.

"What do you do for a living, Rozie?" Back at me again. Oh, Jungkook. You'll be the death of me.

"Customer service, Mrs. Jeon." I hope addressing her formally would get me on her good side just a little.