8

A BEAM OF sunlight shines directly into my eyes and I groan, rolling over. It's way too early. I sit up, stretching with a little squeak. As I look around the room which is clearly not mine, I remember where I am. As much as I'm enjoying this king sized bed, I should probably leave. I feel like I've already kinda overstayed my welcome since they don't actually need me until 10am and it's currently 6am.

As I'm about to get ready, I get a message from Margot.

Hi Elena, I hope you are well!

Just wanted to let you know my husband is off for the day and is planning to take Jacky out, so you have the day off! I hope you enjoy it!

p.s, I've asked Parker to relay a message to you :)

Margot

I get up, pulling on a t-shirt and shorts from my back pack. I'll shower when I get home. I step out in the hallway to go to the bathroom and brush my teeth. The house is eerily quiet, and I realise I've never actually been here before my usual time. I don't know the routine, or if the Ashfords' are even here. I'm about to spit my toothpaste out when the door pushes open.

In front of me stands Parker, completely naked apart from the towel wrapped around his waist. I quickly look away, spitting the toothpaste from my mouth into the sink.

"You're still here." he leans against the doorframe, crossing his arms.

"Yes. I was just leaving." I avoid eye contact as I rinse my brush, and then my mouth.

"What's the rush?"

I glance up at him briefly. Is he saying that in general? Or because he wants me to stay?

"I have... homework." Ugh, homework Elena? Is that the best you could do?

"It's summer break." he raises an eyebrow.

"Extra curricular." I shrug.

"Mm." he smiles a little.

"Uh, I'm gonna... go." I give a tight lipped smile before walking over to the door.

Parker doesn't move, and I stand in front of him expectantly.

"Mom told me to invite you to this cocktail party my parents are hosting tonight." he says.

I can't focus on anything with him standing in front of me like this.

"Tonight?" I repeat and he nods.

"Okay."

He looks at me for a moment longer, before moving out the way. I squeeze past him, making my way back to the spare room to grab my stuff. Cocktail party? I don't own cocktail party attire. What even is cocktail party attire? Do I dress casual or classy? What the hell, I needed at least 2-4 business days of preparation for this.

I shove my bag into the back seat of my car, getting in the front and closing the door. My own house is just as eerily quiet if not more when I finally get home, and the feeling of loneliness returns. I hate living here on my own, but I'd never admit it to Dad because he'd feel like a bad parent. Well he is for leaving me in the first place but whatever.

I'm not even sure what to do with myself. If I slept at home, I wouldn't have got up until at least 8. I decide to have a shower first, and then make breakfast; pancakes with syrup and coffee, which may or may not be one of my only specialities. It's quite nice, I usually just have a coffee and call it a day.

After, I head up to my room, pulling open my closet. Not a single thing in here says 'cocktail attire'. The cargos, sweatshirts, graphic tees and mini skirts look back at me. I look down at the beat converse on my feet. Ugh.