Chapter 16

YN's week off turned to two, which turned into four, and by the time YN returned to the S.H.I.E.L.D facility, she had been on leave for just over two months. She jumped straight back into work with little hesitancy, knowing Steve, Sam and Bucky had now left the base for good.

It had been four more months before she saw Steve again, making it six months since she had spoken to the captain and his friends. Coulson had been called for a meeting with Tony at the Avengers compound, YN flanking him as security.

As Coulson entered, YN and Maria Hill either side of him, Tony and Dr. Banner straightened, casting their eyes to one another quickly. YN and Maria had stood at the exit, having a light conversation when he walked in, Natasha a few paces behind.

When Steve's eyes fell onto the female agents, specifically YN, his strides stopped abruptly, making Natasha run into his back. "Hey, man, what the he-" Her words stopped when she followed his eye line, a bright smile taking over her face. "YN!" She skipped over to the awaiting woman, whom also had a smile on her features.

"Nat! It's been so long, how have you been?" As the three women conducted small talk, the captain continued to stare at YN whom was seemingly ignoring his presence all together. Before Steve could gather the courage to approach her, everyone was called into the conference room.

"A known HYDRA associate has been spotted outside Brooklyn in a local bar. This particular bar has a reputation for selling military grade weapons on the down low. We believe he has been located purposefully, as he hasn't been seen in over two years." Coulson stated from where he stood in front of everyone. "Agent 007," He addressed, "You and Agent Hill will be overseeing a mission at identifying the targets motive and his current whereabouts. This will mean you will be stationed here at the Avengers compound." YN reluctantly nodded, features set in a professional manner.

"Sorry, sir, who is this target and why is he so important?" Dr. Banner asked, hand coming up to rub at his scruffy chin.

Coulson's gaze turned to YN in warning making her straighten expectantly. "Grant Ward is an ex-S.H.I.E.L.D agent, and an excellent one at that. He was a specialist, cunning, reliable and quick. Until his cover was blown not long after the fall of S.H.I.E.L.D in 2014." YN stilled, gaze frozen on the screen where Coulson had brought up a picture of said man. Steve kept his eyes on YN as she stared at the image, his brow furrowed. After answering some more questions, Coulson bid everyone goodbye, leaving the room shortly after. YN caught up to him just near the exit of the compound.

"Coulson!" YN stopped him as he went to open the door. "Are you sure this is a good idea? Ward and I have complicated history."

"I know that, YN. I'm hoping you will use that to your advantage." With that Coulson left, leaving a frowning YN behind. YN walked back to the conference room, where everyone had started chatting between themselves. YN stood by the door for a moment before she felt two arms sneak around her shoulders, overlapping and lifting her up.

YN laughed, knowing exactly who was holding her. "Alright, Buckaroo, you can put me down now." Bucky complied, placing YN back on her two feet. YN turned, wrapping her own arms around Bucky with a laugh. "How are you, Buck? How's Sam?"

"I'm good!" Bucky laughed, unwrapping YN from the hug. "And Sam's-"

"I'm good, thanks YN." Sam smiled, embracing YN in his own arms.

Steve followed the movements of YN's hands as she described, in detail, what she had been up to since they had seen each other last. The conversation seemed to take a turn and YN's eyes flicked to his own, making him straighten where he stood. YN rolled her eyes at something the other two men said, before spinning on her heel and walking straight toward him. YN stood in front of him with her head cocked to the side, her pointed look nearly making the captain blush under her gaze.