twenty four

Meher's POV,
I was walking alone in the college corridor when I spotted Azlaan walking out of the Dean's cabin. He gave me a slight smile and it seemed like he wanted to talk so I waited for him. After speaking to his parents like that the other day.... I wondered what he wanted to say.

"Hey." He stood in front of me.

"Hey." I said back not knowing what else to say. He seemed quite different. Suddenly, he chuckled.

"Why so low? I'm here to fullfill your demand."

Fullfill my demand? Does he mean...

My thoughts were interupted as he suddenly hugged me and I shuddered a bit as he was nuzzling my neck. I stood still as I could. Thank God no one was around, especially after everyone knows that we're married.

"Hold me too or else I won't say it."

This man!

I gave up and held him reluctantly while his grip around me tightened.

"Is there really no chance for us? I promise I'll be the husband you've always desired. I know I've given you a lot scars. Give me a chance to heal them. We can start all over again. Can't you.... think about it again.... please?" He whispered in my ear.

"Azlaan..."

"Meher.... I love you." He got back looking straight into my eyes with reflecting the guilt and resentment in them.
"I'll do anything to make things right. Just once, please... trust me one more time."

I took a moment to look at him as I carased his face. He immediately closed his eyes and I saw his Adam's apple move as he gulped.
He was the man I'd always desired and loved as a child. Dreaming of spending my whole life with him. I always thought he was the man destined for me but maybe I was wrong.

I've grown up now and seen the reality. Desiring or loving someone pointlessly isn't a way to live. I need to learn to live for myself.

So does he...

"Azlaan... you don't love me. It's your guilt that's making you want to keep me by your side so that you think you can heal me. But it's ok, I don't need healing. I forgive you. It was our circumstances that made us this way. It's no one's fault. We just weren't meant for eachother but we got together maybe because it was the plan of Allah. He brings some people in our lives only to take them away sometimes to teach us a lesson.
We all learnt many valuable lessons with this and that's enough.
Let's stop here.... please."

His jaw clenched as his eyes turned red as he closed them again leaning to give a lingering kiss on my forehead.

"I was too late to love you. You're really a kind person Meher and too forgiving. I'll pray that you find someone who deserves you, unlike me."

A drop of his tear fell down as I watched him in awe.

"I'll....pray for you too."

"Ok then...guess I have no choice. I'll divorce you."

It felt like a huge weight was lifted off my chest but at the same time a pricking pain was there too.

I smiled at him as my own vision blurred with tears.
"Thankyou."

#####
We finally informed Daddy about it as bhai and Mumma told him the whole story. He cried and yelled at me for doing something like that but then said that he wanted me to be happy.
So a few days later, we were actually divorced and my iddat period for a month began, so I stayed at home. Azlaan told me before all that, that he, uncle and aunty were going back to London. Last time, it was for 10 years but this time....only God knows.
Another strange thing happened was that after the divorce Rubeena aunty hugged me and cried and cried for a long while apologizing to me for the meaningless hatred she had for me and Mumma. What else could I say then? I forgave her too.