one

Edlyn bit her bottom lip in anger, holding her glass of champagne tightly. She watched as her boyfriend, Hojun, talked badly about her.

"She's so self-centred. I mean, I know that she's rich. Her dad is the director of the Park Specialist Hospital. She doesn't need to act like she owns everything. I'm so tired of her," Hojun said as he laughed with his friends. He thought she wasn't there to listen to him so he happily talked shit about her to his friends. She scoffed and gulped her champagne in one go before giving the glass to a waitress.

She held her purse tightly and went to the rooftop of the building. She couldn't handle the crowd at the event and the humiliation her boyfriend gave her. He dared to talk shit about her at her father's 15th hospital anniversary. She let the night breeze brush against her skin as her eyes stared at the skyscrapers in the city.

The door burst open and she turned around in shock, looking at the man in front of her kicking the wooden chairs in anger. She pushed him and held both of his shoulders, "Stop! What the hell do you think you're doing?"

He took a deep breath and pushed her hands away, "Don't talk to me."

"You don't have to kick the chairs. You looked like a psychopath just now."

He walked to the handrail and gazed at the night sky. He exhaled heavily, "Why are you up here? I'm the only one who's always up here. Who are you?"

"You don't need to know. I won't be here that often. I assume you work here."

"I'm one of the best neurosurgeons here at this hospital."

She chuckled and stared at the streets below. Cars were driving past the traffic lights, honking towards the drivers that weren't focused on the road, too distracted at their phones. She looked at him and examined his facial features. He has a handsome face that old ladies like her aunts and grandmothers would love.

"Try taking a picture. It'll last longer," he smirked arrogantly. She rolled her eyes, "I was just thinking of hitting you with a chair."

Edlyn faced the guy next to her again, "What's your name?"

He sneered and leaned his face towards her, "Why? Interested on a date?"

He pulled away and sighed, "Let me warn you, I'm not looking for a wife or a girlfriend right now. So if you're interested in just fooling around, I'm free."

"I just asked for your name, not for a date. How can you be so bold and not embarrassed about it?" She scoffed and distanced herself from him, making sure there was a gap between them.

"Sim Jake," he spoke up, eyes fixed at the skyscrapers. She nodded slowly and smiled, "There you go. Wasn't that easy?"

Silence came through and none of them engaged in a conversation. He tapped his hands at the railings awkwardly and she looked at her phone continuously, hoping for someone to text her.

"Why are you up here? You can tell me. It's not like we're going to meet each other again," he said. She faced him, "Should I break up with my boyfriend? He dared to talk shit about me to his friends just now. They all were laughing so hard that I just had to come here and escape them. It was so humiliating. I wish I could embarrass him two times more than that."

"Break up with him. Leave him in front of everyone. How about you gather everyone at an 'event' and put on an embarrassing video of him."

She chuckled, "That's a great idea, but I'm gonna pass."

"Well, I'm just suggesting. If you ever think about it, don't forget to invite me too."

A few hours have passed and they laughed as they talked about random stuff. Bottles of beer were around them since they went to the convenience store to get some. Easy to say, they were drunk.

"Okay, okay, what is the worst date you ever had," Jake asked, stopping his hiccups from gulping down the alcohol too fast. Edlyn thought for a while, "This one time, my mom set me up on a blind date with her friend's son. He was so into himself that he kept talking about his job and wealth and all. What he didn't know was that I was also rich. He thought I lived in a small house and that my mom was a random person his mom met at a baking class."

"When I told him my father owns 15 hospitals, he got so shocked that he kept asking me about my father's net worth. Of course, I had to refuse because I think he was trying to compete with my dad. He's just too competitive," she continued.

He laughed and laid on the floor, "Oh my God, that is so embarrassing! Does he even have a job?"

"He's a lawyer. But... He always loses his case so... The only reason he's still working is because of his father's connections. Okay, enough about me. What about you?"

"Well, there's this one girl who thought I was head over heels for her just because she thought I was winking (?) at her. I was trying to get the dust out of my eye. And everyone was looking at her which was so embarrassing. How could she have the courage to just say that to a stranger?" He shook his head as he sighed, remembering the moments.

"My parents wanted me to marry my boyfriend. But I just found out he wanted to marry me so that he could take over the hospitals and have the wealth all to himself. How could I prove to my parents how shitty he is? They favour him too much."

Jake licked his bottom lip and smiled to himself, "Just hire someone to be your temporary husband. Like in those movies and novels. Who knows, he would be your actual soulmate?"

She laughed, "What? Do you think we live in those romance dramas? I used to wish those things were real. But not anymore. We can't really trust anyone in this world. Not even our family or our close friends. We only have ourselves to rely on."

"Well, you're not wrong."