40

The ten-year-old boy crouched down in front of the leather couch where his relative laid

               The ten-year-old boy crouched down in front of the leather couch where his relative laid. The boy turned his cap backward over his dreads and took his thumb to his uncles right eye and lifted his eyelid. He let it down gently and thumped his nose. The sudden action made his uncle's eyes twitch and remained closed. The young boy snickered as his uncle turned over with back to him as his father came in the living room dressed in a basic black top and jogging pants.

               "Avant," his fathers rich and baritone voice calling him made the boy jump since he was doing what he wasn't supposed to. "The hell you doin? Why you not in the car and off to school?"

               "Troy getting breakfast," Avant said as he approached his father in his Jordans and Gold cross chain swinging at the motion. "Why Uncle Tae here? That's usually Uncle De."

               "Fuck you, li'l ass nigga!" De's shout came out muffled with the breakfast food in his mouth.

               Avant playfully held his bald fist up to his uncle as Troy came out the kitchen with toast in his mouth. "Come on, AV. See you Pop."

               "See y'all later." The front door closed, and Toby walked over to the couch his brother sleeps on. He peered down at his baby brother for a second, then kicked the couch. His brother shifted, and he said, "Go brush yo stank ass breath and meet me in the kitchen."

               His brother groaned as Toby walked away and said, "Now Tavon."

               Shifting to lay on his back, Tae stared up at the ceiling for a second, then lifted up and stretched. He stood up, drowsily walking to the nearby restroom in the hall. He urinated, washed his hands, then brushed his teeth with a brand new toothbrush and checked his phone to see if his wife tried contacting him last night. No calls, no texts, which was something he expected. After he finished his oral hygiene he went out to join his brother's in the kitchen.

               "Well, morning sleepyhead," his sister in law, Anicia, greeted as she handed her newborn over to her husband, smiling at her brother in law. "I'm surprised to see you over. That's usually De'Aundre's place."

               De had a mouthful of food, flipping his sister in law off.

               "I'm going to take my nap," Anicia lifted on her toes to plant a kiss on her husband's cheek. "I barely slept. Don't be loud. Y'all don't want to wake me up when I barely got sleep."