Chapter 30

The Owlery was a wonderful place to go when you wanted to think, as long as you didn't mind the squawks and owl droppings.

Remus often journeyed to the West Tower when it got close to the full moon, seeking a few moments of peace before the fear started to take over, but now, he needed somewhere even more secluded.

The one place no one ever dared go near. The Shrieking Shack.

There were only three days until his other side took over, and a new and unfamiliar panic was washing over him.

Lark.

At first, Remus had made a promise to himself not to become attached, but now, he had lost all hope of ever being able to let Lark go.

The joy and hope that the Ravenclaw boy brought with him were all that Remus had ever wanted but feared to have.

No one had ever made him think twice about having a connection that could someday blossom into something beautiful.

Remus had made a plan long ago to never even contemplate having romantic connections while he was at Hogwarts; perhaps that would go for after he graduated as well.

Affections and feelings only led to sorrow and heartache later; he was sure of that.

But damn it, Alexander-fucking-Lark had to go and mess up his carefully laid out plans.

Now, Remus didn't know if he could go through the rest of his life being lonely, secluding himself from those who cared for him, letting fear control his every move.

He didn't think he could live without being able to see the green eyes and charming smirk he had grown to adore.

He didn't want to live without them.

Remus wanted to let himself fall head-over-heels for Alexander.

But that could not happen. Not yet.

If Alexander found out about Remus's other side, the thing he feared the most, the Ravenclaw would never want to be around him again.

He couldn't risk it. He wouldn't.

A deep sigh escaped his lips as he wandered down to the secret tunnel that led to the Shrieking Shack.

********

Alexander felt nervous for the first time in years, something he had long ago decided was useless and totally annoying, so therefore unneeded in life.

But as he slowly made his way down the worn path towards the Whomping Willow, Alexander couldn't help but worry about what the outcome of his plan would be.

Weeks of anxiety and doubt were really beginning to piss him off, and at this point, he just wanted to yell at someone.

Kicking a small gray stone out of his way, Alexander glanced up and stopped in his tracks.

At the base of the willow tree's roots, a tall figure could be seen stooped over, preparing to enter what looked to be a dark cut out in the wood.

Alexander squinted to try and get a better view, and then his brows furrowed in confusion when he realized that it was Remus's figure he saw.

Before he could call out to the Gryffindor, Remus disappeared into the tree, leaving a stunned witness.

Alexander only hesitated a second before he bolted after him, ducking quickly when a willow branch flung his way.

The tunnel was damp, as though it was underground and darkness closed in around him.

Counting his steps, the blonde slowed when he came to a thick wooden door that opened into a dimly lit, unfurnished room.