𝟐 ‣ this not a drill

CHAPTER TWO
[ this is not a drill ]

❝ i'm so glad you're not 'joan of arc'ing it, right now, ❞

'joan of arc'ing it, right now, ❞

    "I'M COMING out," Rory announced, having strutted into the diner and up to the corner table where Hartley, Kanan, and Willow resided.

Kanan immediately began choking on his tea, his eyes practically popping out of his head.

"I knew that Paris chick wasn't just a frenemy," Hartley shook her head, completely unfazed by Rory's confession, "ooh, can I be there when you tell Dean?"

"No, god, not that kind of coming out!" Rory stressed, pressing a hand to her forehead.

     "She's coming out to society," Willow explained, causing her friends to send her strange looks, "what? Before my parents fell from it, I came out to society too."

     Rory let out a sigh of relief, pulling up a fourth chair to the far-too-small table and plopping down in it. There was so little room that her shoulder brushed Kanan's, making his face turn a deep red. Hartley made a mental note to tease him about it later.

     "Please explain to me how you got a guy to wear gloves," Rory begged, the desperation on her face clear as day as she looked at Willow like she was her last salvation.

     Willow shifted uncomfortably, but nobody paid any mind to it, "I don't know, I had a pretty good friend who volunteered, I guess."

     "Ugh, Dean is being so stubborn about this," Rory groaned, leaning a little too far to the right and almost causing Kanan to faint, "I feel bad for him, though. For some reason Mr. Martin thinks he was the one who stole Fernando, and won't stop pestering him about it. So, he's been in a bad mood lately."

     Two different barks of laughter echoed in the small diner. One came from Hartley, who at least tried to cover it up, and the other came from Jess, who was only a table down, pouring Miss Patty her coffee. Willow and Kanan gave the two suspicious looks, before looking towards each other.

     They were known around town to be a dangerous duo when working together. Kanan's almost superhuman ability to know every scandalous piece of gossip, paired with Willow's 'follow the rules or die' attitude made for an invincible team.

     And there newest mission was to figure out what exactly happened to Fernando the Flamingo.

     They had noticed how Hartley had been acting different, an alarming thing for the predictable girl, so they had already been tipped off that something had changed. However, they assumed, just like the rest of the town, that Jess 'Bad Boy' Mariano had done it. But now, with the addition of their perfectly synced laughter—that most people wouldn't notice (Kanan and Willow weren't most people)—and Hartley's failed attempt to cover it up, they had a new theory.