02.17

[act two; chapter seventeen     -     thalia, daughter of zeus]

They arrived in Long Island just after Clarisse, thanks to the centaurs' travel powers. Percy rode on Chiron's back, but they didn't talk much, especially not about Kronos. Andromeda was with Annabeth, the two girls talking quietly between themselves.

Beu had something to take care of and left after a short conversation with Chiron. Something about getting some rooms ready in his house in Cape Cod.

When they got to camp, the centaurs were anxious to meet Dionysus. They'd heard he threw some really wild parties, but they were disappointed. The wine god was in no mood to celebrate as the whole camp gathered at the top of Half-Blood Hill, and he was even more moody once he heard Beu's name be mentioned. Well, that frown on his face disappeared at the sight of his daughter alive and somewhat (not really) well.

The camp had been through a hard two weeks. The arts and crafts cabin had burned to the ground from an attack by a Draco Aionius (which as near as Percy could figure was Latin for "really- big-lizard-with-breath-that-blows-stuff-up"). The Big House's rooms were overflowing with wounded. The kids in the Apollo cabin, who were the best healers, had been working overtime performing first aid. Everybody looked weary and battered as they crowded around Thalia's tree.

The moment Clarisse draped the Golden Fleece over the lowest bough, the moonlight seemed to brighten, turning from gray to liquid silver. A cool breeze rustled in the branches and rippled through the grass, all the way into the valley. Everything came into sharper focus—the glow of the fireflies down in the woods, the smell of the strawberry fields, the sound of the waves on the beach.

Gradually, the needles on the pine tree started turning from brown to green.

Andromeda drew in a sharp breath, looking down at her hands with a small laugh as color flowed back into her body. The dark circles under her eyes faded and her hair seemed shinier and gained its fiery tone back. She flattened her hands towards the ground, smiling when dark green vines happily twirled around her fingers.