Part 91: A walk in the garden

In my misery, which I could not share to anyone, I thought it would be best to keep it all in. 

But you swallow too much pain without spitting any out, you might just choke. 

I received a letter several days after the Academy incident in the more lonely-than-ever Villinie side manor. 

Although it was not my main house, it was the closest to the academy after the incident. 

Classes were already done, but I told my parents my wish to not go back the main dukedom manor at first. 

'I would like to recuperate first from the incident, although I also don't want to disturb mother too much. After all, she needs quiet and rest, does she not?'

They nodded at my decision without questioning it, and left in a carriage. 

But in reality I was only too scared to go back there. 

What would my house there be without any traces of Onii-sama, whom I've been living since I was born?

Even if Mother and Father were there, and a soon-to-be-expected sibling, it still didn't feel whole. 

I was too much of a coward to find out currently. 

After a few days of mourning alone, the Royal Deliveryman came with an envelope in hand. 

"For Lady Villinie." 

I nodded silently, and opened the sealed package after the carriage left. 

My mental state was still dazy after bearing with the misery and holding it in the past few days, receiving the letter was almost like a dream. 

I didn't dare face 'Ivy' as her happy face only caused me more pain, but I nevertheless didn't dare ruin it either. 

Not wanting to be reminded of the fact that all the things Onii-sama did was for her, I was too scared to even see how she was doing after the ball. 

Dear Lady Villinie, 

Is it possible for you to come have a chat with me at the Royal Palace? I noticed you were quite down after the ball, and it took me a few days to locate where you were residing at. As your fiance, if I deserve to proclaim myself that title, I would like to explain some things if My Lady is willing to listen.

Albert Royal

'What is there to explain, anyways?'

My mind drew a blank as I tried to think, but my tired state could not conjure any sense of importance in knowing the reason behind his actions.

But having done nothing but sit there and cry and wallowing in sorrow for the past few days, I wrote back to agree. 

Maybe fresh air will do me some good and lighten up my mood a bit. 

Even if I'm the only one who knew about what Onii-sama had to go through, he wouldn't want me to stay in this agonizing state for too long. 

I sighed while trying to read a book in my lap, but I've only been flipping pages and looking over the words one by one without truly processing what they said. 

                                                                       ***

With the bare minimum of decency in attire for a meeting with the Crown Prince, I arrived without caring about how my face looked. 

I washed the traces of redness off my face before coming here but I truly didn't care if my eyes looked dull and expression sullen. 

There was no energy left in me to put up a decent facade anymore, nor significance of appearance. 

I could hear the whispers of the royal maids around me, as they clearly weren't used to someone showing up in such a simple wear and face to greet a royal family member. 

"Lady Villinie." 

Albert bowed his head with a smile, none of it betraying his true thoughts to my lousy image and arrival. 

I didn't even bother flashing a courtesy smile anymore, and nodded back without talking. 

"Shall we take a walk?" 

He didn't hold out a hand or arm for me to hold on, which I silently thanked for his quick understanding of social cues. 

After receiving a nod from me, he started walking slowly for me follow, but never truly led anything. 

I felt like I could finally breathe as we got to the Royal Garden, a bit of the torment finally leaving me. 

After a bit of silence, in which I was too apathetic right now to really find awkward, Albert finally broke it. 

"At the Temple case in court, I really wasn't planning to steal your merits. It was just that....this was the perfect timing to catch everyone's attention. " 

I nodded in understanding, but I really didn't care about that. 

"The Temple had been doing such things behind our back for a long time, but we could not find enough evidence to accuse them." 

"Ivy's father had been doing business in hands with them for a long time, but as a small baron, it was even harder to catch him." 

"So I proposed to my father, The King, to get close to Ivy. This caused the Temple the illusion of winning, as their future saint was getting close with the future king." 

"And by promoting Baron Castria to a Count, he would obviously use that advantage to expand his drug business. With the rumours of his daughter being the Crown Prince's lover, he would obviously expand his trade and lower his guard. And it would be easier to catch him." 

"With this plan, both the Count and the Temple would be less cautious and more bold in the drug trade. 

"And the party held too many important figures in this country, it was the perfect scene to accuse the Count as well." 

I nodded, as things suddenly made more sense. 

He hesitated before speaking again, "...And, I thought that it was the efficient way to get rid of the rumours of Ivy being my lover. "

This struck me as a bit surprising, but I realised that he truly did regret using those rumours as a way to pull the Temple out and damaging my reputation as an unmarried lady. 

I could tell, at least, that this wasn't a way to placate me for the power I hold, but for my own personal feelings. 

"Lady Villinie, I know I've wronged you too much, but could you please - give me another chance?"