Chapter 2: A Future Engagement

Alexis groaned in pain, finally regaining consciousness after contracting a fever. "Lex! You're awake!" His childhood friends, Darcel Leroux and Lucius Angetré were by his side. "You're too loud Lu. And Darc, you're going to break off my hand." Alexis massaged his temple before sitting up, "Wait here, I'll go call over your parents and the doctor."

"Wait Lu, stay here." Alexis grabbed his hand, "I still have a headache. Don't call them." Lucius darted between the door and his friend before sitting down. "Lex, I'm sor-"

"Stop right there. It's not your fault, I chose to follow you outside and I didn't look after myself." Alexis gently ruffled Lucius's silver, wavy hair, his ice-blue almond eyes were slowly tearing up. "But if I hadn't been so weak, you wouldn't need to cover me!" Alexis sighed, how could he soothe his crybaby friends. It was just a small matter.

Alexis wiped away his tears, turning to face Darcel who was silently increasing his grip strength. "Darc, I'm alive. If you grip my hand anymore, you'll hurt me." Darcel lifted his head, his ruby phoenix eyes were also slightly red and puffy, which contrasted his pitch-black hair, indicating that he had been crying too.

"Lex..." Darcel bit his lower lip, holding in his words.

Alexis sighed, pulling his friends into a hug, where they finally let loose and cried on his shoulders. He soothed both of them by patting them on the back as he began to recollect his memories.

Alexis Alphenhide, rather Fujisaki Shin, was reborn into a fantasy romance visual novel. It was the last game he was playing before going to bed. He couldn't remember the title of the game but he was certain. In the future, his younger sister would have her engagement broken off. Furthermore, both himself and his childhood friends would fall in love with the heroine. Luckily, he regained his previous life's memories when they were young.

He remembered that Alexis had a very androgynous look, his black hair would seem like purple in the sun, giving him fake highlights. It was complemented with a pair of peach blossom amethyst eyes. In the future, the three of them would grow up to become very attractive. They were known as the 'Adonis trio' by the game's fans. Shin was one of them.

Shin, no he was going to go by Alexis now, didn't have many plans in the future except to save his little sister and live a carefree life. Although he was a little bitter in having to abandon his own name, he also thought it was a good opportunity to live as Alexis. After all, another life was blessed to him. Based on the current events, it seems like it was early in the game's prologue where Alexis caught a fever after sneaking out with his friends. It was the day before they would get examined for their elemental affiliation.

"How long have I been asleep for?" Alexis tried to break the silence, in an attempt to stop them from crying more. "Just one day," Darcel grumbled out a reply while lighting punching Alexis on the shoulder.

"If you had been asleep for longer, we would have taken our elemental examination without you!" Lucius protested, he didn't want to do anything without the three of them.

Having played the game, Shin knew that the three of them were quite special. Each person would be the bearer of two elements, a rare phenomenon in the Athrina Kingdom. Darcel would be the bearer of fire and wind; fire and red eyes were his family's symbol. Lucius would have ice and water; the royals were known for having blue eyes and ice as their element. Alexis would be afflicted with lightning and darkness; his family utilised lighting, hence why they had purple eyes. These three families were the kingdom's pillars and had a massive influence over the kingdom. In the future, the three of them would bear the title of the 'Next Pillars'. It was a little embarrassing to have that title but Alexis couldn't fault them for it.

"Ahaha, sorry. I'm sure you guys would've been fine without me."

"NO!"

There was a strong objection from the both of them, immediately stopping their tears and began to cling onto Alexis more tightly. "I refuse to think about that. I won't do anything if one of us is missing!" Lucius proclaimed and Darcel nodded along. "I won't even start my swordsmanship until you woke up!"

"Lu, don't say that and Darc, don't agree with him." Alexis tried to coax them but failed. They began to hold his hand tightly in an attempt to keep Alexis by their sides.

In the game, not only did the three of them control two elements each, but they also excel in both magic and swordsmanship. This probably meant that the world was going to follow the game's direction.

Thinking about how he had to start training in the next year or so, Shin quickly put away those thoughts; he didn't like sweating and because he was the Archduke's son too, he would have to begin soon. The two of his friends couldn't escape their similar fate too: one being the Grand Duke's only son and the other being the crown prince. "Have you calmed down now?" Darcel and Lucius were still clinging to his body, but they stopped their tears. Both of them reluctantly pulled away from Alexis, their eyes were red and puff, they still had a few sniffles left but they held it in.

"You can call for my parents and the doctors now. Unless you want to wait until your eyes are no longer red." Both of them shyly nodded their heads, Alexis found them so adorable. "You guys cried so much, aren't you tired?" He opened his blanket to invite both in. They timidly went under the covers with Alexis sandwiched in the middle. Lucius hooked his arm over his chest and Darcel hugged his waist; Alexis simply let them do what they wanted before adjusting himself so that everyone was comfortable.

The two of them quickly began sleeping, their breaths evened out, luring Alexis to sleep as well. Shin thought about how to change the game's direction but thought he should sleep some more before thinking about the future. The three of them slept soundly, not noticing the adults entering, who began discussions of a future engagement between them.