Chapter 8: What is Your Motive?

They stayed together for some time before Alexis finally initiated for them to return. "Darc, Lu, are you sure you're okay with revealing your second element? Wouldn't it be better if I do the same?" Alexis was walking together with them when he suddenly threw the question at them.

"Hmm, maybe it would be better if you didn't do that." Lucius gave it some thought before replying. "Dark magic is quite rare in our kingdom, and if you told everyone that you had both lightning and dark magic, I think that you would have a hard time trying to escape the attention." He gave a small smile as if he was apologising for it.

"I agree. And because there would be so many people around you, we wouldn't be able to spend time together and go into town. I would not like that at all." Darcel grumbled out his complaint, thoroughly refusing the thought of Alexis not being able to spend time together with them. "Lex, you said that we will be together forever right? So even if me and Lu reveal our second element, we will still choose to train together with you."

Alexis paused in his step, causing them to stop as well while looking over their shoulder towards him. "Lex?" Lucius called out to him, reaching out for his hand. Alexis grabbed it before he could, stringing him along while reaching out for Darcel's hand, flashing them both a smile. "Hehe, I'm just glad that you guys care a lot about me."

Puzzled, Darcel's eyebrows wrinkled, "Of course, why wouldn't we care about you?" Lucius nodded in agreement, "After all, we are your friends."

They returned back to the table, Darcel and Lucius giving him a quick nod. Alexis detached himself from them before going over to his father's side. "Father, could I talk to you for a little bit?" He lightly tugged on his jacket. Elijah, gently placed down his teacup, before reaching out to ruffle Alexis's head. "Of course, do you want to go somewhere else for it?"

He shyly nodded before leading the way. "Father I..." Alexis knew what he wanted to say but the words were stuck in his throat. They were sitting down on a bench not too far from the tea party, just in the opposite direction where Alexis was with his friends. "I..."

Elijah simply ruffled his head, causing Alexis to lift his head up. "Take your time Alex. I can wait." Alexis's eyes peered wide open in surprise, he wasn't expecting his father to be so patient with him. Based on【Alexis's】memories, the two of them rarely interacted outside of family dinners. But Shin wasn't him, as long as he didn't act weirdly or out of character, he would still choose to improve their father-son relationship. Furthermore, Elijah was the father figure that Shin never had in his previous life, so he was longing for fatherly love.

Elijah leaned back against the bench, Alexis awkwardly resting against his body before Elijah lovingly patted his head. They stayed like this for some time before Alexis finally felt ready to talk. "Father, I have something to tell you." Elijah hummed in response, Alexis pausing slightly before continuing. "I lied earlier."

The hand that was patting his head paused after he said that, only resuming after a little while. Alexis took it as a sign to continue, "You know how I said I had lightning as my element? I actually have a second element as well. And so does Darc and Lu. But I talked to them and they said that I should only let you know about my second element." Elijah had said nothing throughout their exchange, only listening intently.

"Father, what do I do? I have dark magic as my second element." The garden was quiet but it was peaceful. The noise that could be heard was from the soft rustle of the trees and the joyous, exciting chatter from the tea party. Alexis was sitting there anxiously, waiting for his father's response when the next words from his father shocked him, "Thank you for telling me, Alex."

"Father?"

"It must've been hard deciding on your own to hide something that's a part of you." Elijah wrapped his arms around his son's shoulder, "I'm glad you see me as someone you can trust." Alexis further leaned against his father, relishing his fatherly love, subconsciously tearing up from his affections, "Regardless of what anyone else says about you, you will always be my son and I will always be proud of you." He leaned down to give his forehead a gentle kiss before Alexis spoke up.

"Father, what do you mean? Why would someone speak badly about me?" Shin knew that there was a hidden meaning behind his words.

Elijah showed a conflicted face before sighing, "I will tell you at a later time. I think you should get some rest after today." He was about to stand up and leave when Alexis grabbed onto his sleeve. "But Father, I don't understand. Why would having dark magic cause people to look badly on me?" Shin thought that having a rare element was a good thing. In the game, it never mentioned anything about dark magic being looked down upon. If anything, the【game Alexis】was praised for being a dual elementalist. So why is it so different now?

"Alex, let's leave it here for today. I promise I'll tell you at a later time." Elijah ruffled his hair again to appease him but Shin only felt more confused. He knew that the game never went into detail about world-building, only giving the general basis of it. So having learnt for the first time that there was more to it than he thought, Shin felt like he should be prepared in the future in case something abnormal appeared.

"Wouldn't it be better for you to tell me now Father?"

"No, it wouldn't. I don't want you to feel more upset, especially since you have chosen to hide your second element." Elijah turned to face his son, chanting a short spell. Gentle zaps of purple lightning appeared in front of Alexis. It began to take the form of lilies, ranging from small to large, all circling delicately around both of them. "Perhaps it is too early for you to understand but your elemental magic is a part of you. The Gods have blessed you to use a part of their powers. It is not wrong to say that your magic is an extension of yourself."

Elijah simply waved his hand. Soon the electric flowers began bursting into smaller pieces, like petals being carried through the wind. "Although you have yet to begin learning magic, I want you to know and truly understand that hiding your magic is like hiding your true self." The electric petals began dispersing into the air, vanishing completely. "The magic flows in you, and what you have chosen to do is to hide a part of yourself."

"Then why do you say it's a good thing, Father?"

Elijah gently pointed to Alexis's chest, "It is because both light and dark magic are very powerful." Elijah hesitated for a moment, before turning away and walking off. "Wait, Father. Is there something wrong? Isn't it good though? Because people with rare magic can protect the kingdom."

Elijah slowed down for his son to catch up, "Not everyone in the world is caring and thoughtful of others. Everyone has a motive regardless of what they say." A purple lily appeared in his right hand, "Will you use it for the greater good?" The lily exploded when Elijah crushed it in his palm, setting off like little fireworks. "Or will you use it for your desires?" It was mesmerizing, his magic took form based on his will; Elijah was not wrong to say magic was an extension of one's self.

"But-"

"Then tell me Alex, what was your motive?"

"..."

"Why did you choose to hide your magic to begin with?"

Shin didn't expect to be confronted directly. He hesitated slightly before deciding that it was better to tell the truth than to deceive his family. "I- I wanted to live an easygoing life and I decided to tell you because I wanted you to protect me...."

Elijah gave a gentle smile, "I'm glad you can be honest with me." He ruffled his head again, "We can have a talk another time. After all, we still have to celebrate you and your friends' elemental examination." Shin wanted to ask more but ultimately decided to shut his mouth. He would find out more anyways, just a later time.