Part Two: Prep For the New School Year

Reader pov

The rest of the school year went by faster than ever. Today our teachers told us to start thinking about what we want to do with our lives. He gave us papers to fill out with the high schools we plan on signing up for. I stared at my paper the whole walk home. I think I know where I want to go.

"Mom, Dad, I'm home," I shouted as I opened the front door. I was immediately pulled into a hug from both of my parents.

"We missed you sweetie," Mom gushed, squeezing me.

"How was school, kiddo," Dad asked, ruffling my hair.

"It was nice. I'm a little upset to leave behind my friends, but it'll be nice to get a fresh start where I'm not known as "the trans kid," I replied honestly.

"Maybe you should invite your friends over every once in a while," Mom suggested, going back to making dinner. Dad and I followed, the former making some strawberry lemonade.

"Maybe," I hummed in thought. If I'm going to tell them, I might as well do it know. "I think I know I want to go to high school."

"Oh, and where would that be," Mom mused. She cut up some vegetables and put them in a pot with eased perfection.

"I was thinking UA high school."

"What course are you going for," Dad questioned. "There's support, business, general studies, and hero. Right?"

"Yeah," I answered, "I was thinking I have a shot at the hero course."

Mom set down her mixing spoon and looked at me with concern. "Are you sure you don't just want to be a hero because it's popular? We'll support you either way," She comforted, "I'm just worried you'll be going into a dangerous career you might not be interested in."

"I'm sure, Mom. Thank you for worrying about me," I said.

"Well then, we should list your back up schools as other top hero schools, just in case," Dad chuckled.

"I'm glad you guys understand. I heard the entrance exams are really difficult so I'll be spending most of summer studying and training," I explained. "Do you think you could work out a meal plan that will help with building muscle and strength?"

"Sure thing, kiddo," Dad promised, "We'll do whatever we can to help."

"Thank you."

***

I went to the public library and scanned through their books. I found a few on training the body, spirit, and mind, some for academic help, and some for hero work outs. I didn't see anything for quirk training though. A little disappointed, I went to the front counter and checked out my books.

"Is that all for today, miss," The girl at the front counter asked. She called me miss!! That seriously just made my day, like a thousand times better.

I snapped out of my thoughts. "Uh, I wasn't able to find any books on quirk training," I recalled. "Do you know where I could find something?"

"Luckily for you," She said as she reached down and pulled a book off the shelf, "This book was returned earlier today. If you want it, it's all yours."

"Thank you so much!"

"Of course, enjoy your books," She smiled.

"You too," I said walking away. Then I realized what I said and froze. The girl at the counter laughed and told me to have a good day.

I went back home and carried my books up to my room. I looked over the materials and began to take notes. I was a bit confused on some parts so I jotted down a reminder to ask my teachers for advise. I spent the rest of the day holed up in my room studying.

***

The next morning I woke up early. I went down stairs and made a quick breakfast of eggs and vegetables. I studied my books a bit more while I ate. When I finished eating I went upstairs to get my workout books. The first chapter is all about the proper ways to stretch and when to use what warm-ups. I made a quick note to go into more detail later and finished skimming the chapter. Cardio is a good way to start, being easy and good for you. I flipped to the cardio section and read it. 'Start slow, good pacing, drink lots of water, take breaks when needed,' I mentally noted. Cool, let's do this.

I opened the door and started my stretches. After a good few minutes I was ready to go. I decided to start off small, only running for ten minutes at a time until it becomes too much. I'm starting at a jogging speed, using mental versions of the images to keep up my form. I ran for ten minutes and took a break, drinking some more water. I did a quick stretch to loosen up my muscles and went again. My breathing is getting messy and I have a dry throat so I grab a bit of water and keep running. Ten minutes later and I take a break. I can do one more set so I start to head towards the park. I run for ten minutes and find a bench to sit at. I try calming my breathing and drinking more water.

I pull my 'training the body, spirit, and mind,' book out and skim through the table of contents. Training the spirit is often overlooked but can be pretty important, especially for those with a quirk. Quirks are tied into your spirit, so the stronger the spirit the stronger the quirk. A simple yet effective way to train the spirit is to meditate. Find a calming area and get comfortable. If you like, play calming music or sounds. Breathe in and out while thinking about what is around you. This also helps improve your instincts and ability to read your surroundings.

Pretty cool stuff if you ask me. I got up and went to the field, finding a comfortable spot among the daisies. I sat down and got comfortable. Next step, take deep breaths. With all the practice I get this is practically second nature for me. Once that got comfortable I started to think about my surroundings. I hear birds chirping in the trees. Someone is walking. I hear the footsteps of an animal and the jingling of a leash. They're probably walking a dog. I can hear a skittering animal behind me and the rustle of leaves. Maybe a squirrel. I spend at least an hour, just thinking. It's really relaxing.

Next up is the mind. Ways to train your mind include logic games and puzzles. You can also learn new skills, take part in creative activities, and have meaningful conversations. I think I can work all of these into my day to day life. So for the logic game, I'll start out with chess. Maybe do jigsaw puzzles or word games for the puzzles. I'll be learning how to play chess and also paint. Maybe I can meet up with the debate club members over summer or have deep talks with my parents.

I head home while thinking about what to do first. Training my mind might be the most important thing to do right now, seeing as I have a mental quirk.

"Do we have a chess set," I called out when I opened the door. Both my parents were watching TV.

"Let me check," Dad said, kissing my mom on the cheek and getting up.

"What do you need a chess set for," Mom asked.

"I'm training my mind, body, and soul," I explained. "Outside of studying I'll be learning chess, exercising, and meditating a lot. Plus other things but those are the main three."

"That sounds like a lot of work," She replied. "If you need any help, just ask."

"Now that you mention it,"I started. "Would you be willing to play chess with me?"

"I don't know how to play but I'm sure your father and I can learn."

"Look what I found," Dad exclaimed as he came back.

"We have a chess set! That's so amazing, now we can play together!"

So for the next few hours, my parents and I learned the basics of chess and played a few rounds.