Chapter One

"Here comes the bride!"

I smiled to myself as I watched Clarissa make her way toward my office door. We had been great friends for years, and I'd been so excited when she'd finally announced her big engagement.

But I'd been even more excited when she'd hired me as her wedding planner. Ever since I'd gotten that call, I'd been daydreaming about Clarissa's wedding, wondering how it was all going to look once everything was set in motion.

I just couldn't help myself. I loved my job. I loved helping blushing brides and grooms try on different gowns and suits, and I loved putting all the pieces together; the music, the venue, the bouquets, the table settings, the catering, the lights, the sounds, the magic.

What could I say? I was a sucker for a great wedding.

And every wedding was a great wedding if I had anything to do with it.

"Raven!" Clarissa excitedly shouted my name as she stepped into my office. "Chicken or steak?"

"Chicken?" I guessed, unsure of what she was asking me.

She beamed. "Wrong. Both."

"I'm sorry. I don't think I know what you mean--"

"Trent and I have decided on a buffet for the reception," she explained. "That way, everyone can have a little bit of what they like. Isn't that such a good idea?"

"No." My response was flat. "No, Clarissa. That's an awful idea. That's a no-good, rotten, awful idea. That's the kind of idea that causes economies to collapse. That's the kind of idea that brings down nations. That's the kind of idea that threatens the very thin fabric of society that we're all holding onto with our bruised, calloused fingertips!"

"Christ, Raven," Clarissa said. "You're making it sound like a buffet is the end of the world."

"That's because it is the end of the world!" I replied. "No offense, Clarissa, but I've spent the past three months planning your wedding down to the very last detail, and I did not plan on a buffet being the centerpiece of your reception." I took a step closer to her. "And why are you being so calm about this buffet thing anyway? I thought you wanted to have a huge seafood spread. What made you change your mind?"

"Nothing," she answered quietly.

I knew that she was lying by the way she averted her eyes from my gaze.

"Clarissa, tell me the truth."

"Fine!" Her voice turned grumpy. "Trent told me that if I could find a way to cut costs on the food, then he wouldn't mind if I spent whatever I saved on my dress."

"Are you telling me that you'd make all of your guests eat from a buffet spread at your wedding, just so you can spend an extra grand or two on your dress?"

"Yes," she admitted. "I'm sorry. Does that make me a bad person?"

"No." I grinned. "That makes you a fabulous person. But if we're going to be spending an extra thousand on your dress, we should really get something with crystals--"

"I was thinking crystals in the veil--"

"Crystals in the veil! What are you? A fucking visionary?" I quickly headed back to my desk, eager to give the bridal shop a call. "Are you still a size eight? Or do we need to size down the dress?"

"Size down the dress?" Clarissa placed a hand over her heart. "Raven, that's so sweet." She firmly shook her head. "But no. For the love of God, don't size down. I need to be able to breathe on my wedding day, or else, I'm going to pass out like Patricia Gwen."