Chapter 28

You people really can be proud of yourself. With all your appreciation and comments you all manage to cheer me up. You have my gratitude for that.

'Sooo, what are we going to do next?'

Paimon yawns. 'How about some well-earned rest? We've been awake for the whole night just to get everything done. One of the most productive nights we had for a long time.'

'Well, I for my part have just woken up so I am not going to sleep again. You can go to sleep anyway. I'll find something to do in the meantime.', you smile.

'I do not require to sleep as well, therefore we can accompany each other for this morning.', Zhongli adds.

'...We...-', Aether wants to speak up but stops, his eyes barely open. '...don't...' He can't finish his sentence as he collapses and his head has a harsh encounter with the table.

You quickly rush towards him and lightly shake him. 'Aether?! Don't die on me!' Taking his head into your hands you observe his face for any signs of him being alive.

Besides a stable breath you also note that uppon closer inspection you can see that Aether looks like someone who has been living on coffee for 3 days without an hour of sleep in-between. 'Yo Paimon, what have you two been doing while I was away?'

'Searching for you. You randomly disappeared after all. Paimon thinks that that was already said before.'

'Did you guys rest too?'

Paimon closes her eyes, trying to recall what they've been doing before. 'Paimon did. But Paimon doesn't know whether or not Aether did too. Every time Paimon went to sleep or woke up he was awake. Paimon doesn't know what he was doing during that time.'

'Well-done dear Traveler. Your determination kept you awake for several days. If this was a game I would say that you certainly deserve an achievement for this, but it isn't, you goddamn idiot!' You sigh. 'In the end I guess that I still have to be thankful that you were worried about me...'

Rosa rolls down your head and floats closer to Aether's face to poke his cheeks. After a few pokes the Seelie changes the force it uses and beginns to slap him.

You pull your companion away from your human friend. 'Rosa, I know that he passed out and that he therefore doesn't feel anything, but please stop using him as a drum. Even though your slaps barely count as slaps since you're so soft, it is still somehow disrespectful.'

Using its own strange sign language Rosa wants to justify its actions which results in a discussion with you.

Meanwhile, the confused Geo Archon takes a sip of his tea. 'Are they always like that?'

'(Y/N) and Rosa? More or less yes. If you mean the overall chaos: Not usually that extreme. Paimon thinks that everyone is a bit stressed out and needs a vacation.'

'Zhongli? Can we let Aether sleep in my room at Hu Tao's place?', you surprise the older male with your sudden closeness. The pink orb sits on your head as if nothing happened.

He nods. 'I doubt that she would mind, so of course.'

Walking back to Aether's body you circle around him. 'Alright, how do you carry somebody else without hurting them or yourself...'

'How about I help you with that?', Zhongli asks.

'Yes, that would be helpful.'

Together with the Archon's help you carry Aether to the guest room at Hu Tao's place to give him his well-earned rest. Paimon, who is also tired, joins him.

To not disturb them, you and Zhongli move to the kitchen.

You look at the god's somewhat solemn expression. 'Is something wrong? Ever since we walked here you are so... serious? Sad? I can't pinpoint how you are feeling, but to me it doesn't seem all that good. Is it because I lied to you before? I am really sorry, I didn't mean it like that. It's just that I really needed to find a way to move on. I didn't want to bother you and Hu Tao for too long...'

'No, that's not what I am pondering about. It is simply that I noticed that you seemed way less energetic and happy before. You are almost like a completely different person now. It is as if you didn't favor our time together all that much...'

With his statement Zhongli surprises you. 'I think you are over interpreting my behaviour a bit. I am less tense now because I am not as lost as before. Without Aether I would have nobody to travel with and I would also loose the overal goal of my journey. In addition to that, whereever Aether goes, something interesting is bound to happen.' You pause your explanation and pet the pink orb on your head. 'And Rosa up there is is the best confidence-boost you can get. So to sum it up, you really have nothing to do with the change of my mood.'

Apparently, not even your sincere smile is able to cheer Zhongli up. You are quite certain that there is something that the Archon wants to say but preferes to keep to himself.

'If you concider this as something positive, we can spend some time together and do whatever you want later. To make up for the fact that I ditched you yesterday. ...Though we should postphone it to after all that chaos here in Liyue has settled. After all, the storm didn't even arrive yet.'

Your last sentence pricks the god's interest. 'How far are you aware of what is happening currently here?'

The gentle smile on your lips freezes into an awkward one. 'Ehh...'

'I got a bit too carried away there. A true genius move right there (Y/N).'

'Let's put it that way. It could be that I am more aware of what everyone here is up to.'

I hope you enjoyed reading and stay healthy!