CHAPTER 9

Although it had been brief, I had enjoyed the break that came from staying at the Barton farm again. Now, however, it was time to go back to work. I stood in front of the mirror, securing my hair into a ponytail. Putting on my suit, I smoothed my hands over it while looking at my reflection in the mirror. It was rather similar to Nat's, yet pure white in colour with a few gold accents here and there. Ready to go, I exited the room to where Steve and Tony were talking outside.

"I'll take Ophelia, Natasha and Clint." Steve said.

He picked up his shield and secured it on his back before turning to face Stark.

"Alright. Strictly recon. I'll hit the Nexus. I'll join you as soon as I can." Stark replied.

Steve and Tony walked out of the room as they continued their conversation. I made my way down the hallway to where I could see Clint and Laura. When Laura saw me coming, she turned to face me with a smile.

"You be safe, okay?" She said, pulling me in for a hug.

"I will." I assured her.

"Don't be a stranger around here, either. The kids would love to see you again soon."

"I'll come back as soon as I can."

~*~

Steve and I climbed over the railing onto the rooftop of Dr Cho's lab. Clint and Natasha flew off in the Quinjet.

"Two minutes. Stay close." Steve instructed them.

He nodded his head at me, directing me to follow him. In silence, we entered the building. Ultron had clearly been here and by the looks of things, he wasn't happy; wires crackled around us and rubble lay in piles on the floor.

"Dr Cho!" Steve exclaimed, spotting the wounded doctor on the floor of her lab.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

Steve and I knelt beside her and Steve brought something to her wound to try and suppress the bleeding.

"He's uploading himself into the body...." She said, breathing heavily.

"Where?" Steve asked.

He turned his head to look around the room and moved to get up. Dr Cho grabbed his arm and he returned his attention to her.

"The real power is inside the cradle...." She told us. "The gem... its power is uncontainable. You can't just blow it up. You have to get the cradle to Stark."

"First we have to find it." I said, returning to my feet.

"Go." Dr Cho instructed.

Steve and I took off in an instant, running through the hallways of the lab as fast as our legs could carry us.

"Did you guys copy that?" Steve asked Clint and Nat.

"We did." Answered Clint.

"I got a private jet taking off across town. No manifest." Nat informed us. "That could be him."

"There. It's a truck from the lab." Clint stated. "Right above you guys. On the loop by the bridge."

Steve and I began climbing up a ladder that would lead us onto the road directly above the truck.

"It's them. You got three with the cradle, one in the cab." Confirmed Clint. "I could take out the driver."

"Negative." I replied. "That truck crashes, it could level the city."

"We need to draw out Ultron." Added Steve.

We emerged onto the road and Steve looked around. Spotting the truck approaching on the road below us, he turned his head to face me.

"On my signal, we jump down there. Okay?"

I nodded my head in response and got into position. The truck passed underneath us and Steve began to run.

"Now!" He called.

We ran onto the ledge of the road and leapt off. Landing on the roof of the truck, I gave a grunt on impact. Quickly, I returned to my feet.

"You okay, Madden?" Steve asked.

"Yeah." I responded.

Steve and I slid down the back of the truck, each hanging on to one of the back doors. Suddenly, a blast from inside the truck slammed open the door Steve clung to. Pushing his foot off the side of the truck, he swung the door closed once again. Another blast came, yet this time sending both of us flying upwards. Steve grabbed me in midair and we landed on the remains of one of the doors that dragged behind the truck.

"He's definitely unhappy." I said with a laugh.

"I'm gonna try and keep him that way." Steve added.

"You guys are no match for him." Clint said.

"Thanks, Barton." Replied Steve.

"Always one for encouraging words." I commented with a small laugh.

Slowly rising from the door, Steve peered up into the truck only to be met by Ultron. He sent out another blast, this time throwing us away from the truck. I landed on the bonnet of a nearby car, feeling pain begin to spread across my back. Ignoring it, I got onto my feet. Steve, who had landed on the car beside me, launched himself onto the top of Ultron's truck. I followed suit, swinging on the wing mirror of another vehicle. Steve and I landed on either end of the truck, Ultron in between us.

"You know what's in that cradle?" Ultron asked.

He sent out a blast at Steve, who let it bounce off of his shield.

"The power to make real change." Ultron said.

He turned to me, sending out another blast, which I narrowly avoided.

"And that terrifies you."

"I wouldn't call it a comfort." Steve said.

Steve gave me a momentary look and I instantly stepped out of the way. He swung his shield at Ultron, who flew backwards to avoid it. Ultron directed a blast at me and I quickly formed a shield of light to rebound it. We fought off his shots the best we could, yet they just kept coming. Steve threw his shield, lodging it in Ultron's chest.

"Stop it." Ultron said, ripping out the shield and tossing it onto the road.

Then, another blast sent Steve and I flying in opposite directions off of the roof of the truck. Steve managed to grab on to the front, whilst I wasn't so lucky. I landed on the bonnet of a car and slid towards the boot, almost falling onto the road. Just then, I heard the sound of a motorbike drawing closer. Nat came up beside me.

"Hop on!" She called.

Jumping on to the back of the motorbike, we sped off through the traffic.