Hope (Chapter 25)

We waited in the hallway while the president wrapped up whatever meeting she had before ours. Clutch looked at the cooler and then at me. "We're almost done. Then we can get back to New Eden."

The door opened, and Peter appeared and ushered us forward. Inside, a woman stood chatting with two middle-aged men. A large table was set with seven place settings and platters filled with pot roast, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, and fruit cocktail. The smell of food-real food and not some bland stew of some kind-made my mouth water.

Everyone turned when we entered, and the woman approached us and held out her hand. "I'm Aline, and this is James, the vice president, and Mike, our chief of staff."

Once introductions were made, Aline continued. "It's wonderful to see representatives from New Eden. When we lost radio contact, we were afraid that province was lost to us. I trust your journey wasn't too eventful?"

"It was fine, Madam President," I said.

"Please call me Aline. You'll find we're quite informal around here. Now, please, have a seat. We'll talk over dinner."

I set down the cooler, shrugged off my backpack, and took a seat in between Clutch and Griz.

"You'll have to forgive the lack of fresh fruit and vegetables. Our gardens are just beginning to produce. In the meantime, we're getting by on canned foods."

Griz chuckled. "This looks better than we've had in...hell, let's just say it's been a real long time."

"It's the least we can provide you after your long journey. Peter says you have much to tell me."

I began. "A hematologist came to New Eden. He'd been working on the zonbistis virus since the outbreak, and he had a breakthrough."

Aline's eyes widened. "You've found a cure?"

"Not a cure, but a prevention. A vaccine, to be clear." I reached back and hefted the cooler. "Dr. Gidar was able to isolate the antigen that allows a person to fight off the virus. With the antigen, you can create a vaccine. All of Dr. Gidar's research as well as blood samples are in here. All you have to do is reproduce and distribute the vaccine to everyone."

"That's...amazing." She rang a bell, and a young man entered. She motioned him toward me. "Take the cooler to Dr. Franzen as quickly as you can, and tell him I'll talk with him tonight."

"Wait," I said. "Don't you want us to talk with this Dr. Franzen, to tell him what we know?"

Aline smiled. "I'll make sure he can talk to you should he have questions."

I reluctantly gave up the cooler to the man, who hustled from the room. I eyed Clutch who sat there with a tight jaw.

Aline watched me. "Thank you for bringing this research to us. I can assure you that Dr. Franzen will look into it right away." She then looked across all our faces. "The promise of a vaccine will improve the morale of every citizen. After Operation Redemption is completed, the vaccine-if it's still needed at that time-will have a role in building the new nation."

I frowned. "Whoa. You're putting the vaccine on a back burner?"

"Tell us about Operation Redemption, and why you don't think we'll need a vaccine," Clutch stated pointedly.

"Yes, of course," Aline said. "Redemption is a multi-phased plan to eliminate the infected. Mike, if you'd please."

"It's a straightforward operation," Mike said. "The first phase was to reestablish government and build a network of survivors. New Eden is a link in that network. We continue to search for new groups of survivors every day. However, we've acquired enough resources to deem Phase One a success. Phase Two is now underway and nearly complete."