chapter six: locked in.

Got inspired, also got hyperfixated on it, so...fast writing.

(Y/n) POV~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Wow...you seem to really love your new toy."
I mumble, Iris continues to nom on the poor little bat toy...i guess the man was right, this was a good purchase.

I view across the watery area again, and it seems like there's nowhere left to go...nowhere but the windmill.

"...into the spooky tower."
I say, Iris doesn't pay me any mind..he just pays all his attention to his new toy, man, that'll probably save me a lot of problems crying-wise.

The dull cold hits my still wet clothing as i tread across the freezing mud...i should've asked for clothes from the man, if he had diapers, he probably had clothes...nice, warm, baggy clothes.

"Hm...sounds nice."
I mumble to myself.

I step onto the wooden planks that lead me to the door of the windmill, once i step into the doorless, but welcoming area, i notice the ladder in front of me, pulled up and kept there with a padlock...i guess nobody's up there then.

Iris continues chewing on his new toy and pays the wooden thumps of my footsteps no attention, i step to the other door on the other side of the area im in, although expecting nothing from the water i had seen up from the building, im somehow greeted with....less than nothing. Just water, nothing to hop onto, no boat to get on, just...water.

the tops of houses are in the distance, but besides that, nearly everything that must have been here has been flooded...it looks like everything here is reduced to nothing but moss and wet wood standing above what might be a murky grave to whoever lived there...that's depressing.

"Fuck..."
I wince silently...i guess this wasn't much of a lucky break, but its better than most of the scenarios that could've happened.

"Well, chub...at least we're out of the river."
I say...that's gonna be a bright side for the rest of my life, at least im not in that damn river.

Im quick to turn around and get away from the windmill, passing the padlocked ladder and speeding back into the colder area...not really that much colder than inside the windmill, but the air is stronger and hits me harder out here.

"...lets go see if we can find more help, this can't be all there is...right? Well, maybe...but heres to hoping there's more."
I say, noticing Iris slowing down with his biting on the toy, I'm guessing all that excitement is wearing him down..maybe he'll sleep again.

I walk back towards the chickens and the gate, the chickens scamper all over the place as I put my free hand on the metal door we came in from...it won't budge open.

"What..?"
I mumble, pushing on it harder, it just stays still, like its been barricaded or glued shut.

...this is a fucking caper, huh? Nanny friend and small infant trapped in a flooded area; nanny is scared and infant is tired...seems like a hell of a story to buy and read if i weren't living it.

"....maybe the man knows another way out, what's your say, chub?"
I say, although once again im more or less talking to myself, and silently agreeing as well...i mean, if he got here he probably knows a few ways in and out, right?

The chickens seem to have a hell of a time screaming and clucking at me as i walk through their little area, but i don't pay them much mind and instead rush back to the building.

When i get back to the door, i open it quickly and walk inside, but from the same barred window i saw the man in, i see that he's...gone. Everything hung up and everything on the table is just...gone.

"...what the fuck?"
I whisper to myself...how did he leave so quickly? And how did i not notice?? Christ...at least i got to him before he left, i know Iris is definitely happier in a warm blanket than his cold onesie.

"...feeling cozy, chub?"
I ask, staring down at Iris, he doesn't answer with a coo or whine...he has his eyes closed again, this kids been trying to sleep all day, and i just keep waking him up...well, the creatures woke him up, then the river woke him up.

Poor little kid...even heard some people say that some kids have brain disorders that let them remember really early in their life, after this, I'm hoping that it doesn't turn out that Iris is one of those kids...fuck, that would be terrifying. Remembering those creatures...the car sinking in the River...and who knows what's to come..

"Alright then...enjoy the nap."
I chuckle...a cute sleepy baby is a good motivation to keep running.

If the man didn't leave through the door i came from, and he definitely didn't, since i was beside it after i left, then...there has to be a different way out, so knowing that, i just have to look around better than i did before.

"...maybe we'll be somewhere cozier when you wake up."
I mumble.

...if Iris wasn't here, I'd probably be doing a lot more stuff differently, that meaning I'd be resting after nearly drowning...man, resting sounds good. But if i don't get somewhere warm, Iris could get really sick or even freeze to death...that blanket wont help him in this kind of cold.