43. For Her

Ariana took a glance at the scroll first, then craned her neck to see Xavier's face. His emerald green eyes were sparkling with zeal and pride, along in anticipation of her approval and change of heart in his favor. No matter how little the change might be, he would be very grateful and elated.

Years ago, he had crushed her hope and made a fool of her in front of everyone. A bitter and sinister smile graced her lips. She cleared her throat to catch his attention and gave him an awkward grimace for everyone to see. 

"Uh... Your Majesty, how am I supposed to start a whole new nation?"

Xavier furrowed his brow. This wasn't the reaction he had been expecting. A question instead of a thank you?

Ariana chuckled. "What I mean is mere land isn't sufficient to start a new nation, that too for no rational reason. Where are my citizens? The ones currently residing there would prefer returning to this Kingdom instead of trusting me as their leader, won't they? How would I even run the country even if I gather people? I do not possess funds."

"You do not need to worry about resources. I shall always be there for you in every manner." promised Xavier, looking deep into her eyes. 

"What is the point then, if my country shall depend on your mercy since its inception? Might as well call it one of the Kingdom's province. Seems like Your Majesty did not put much thought into this gift, did he?" She mocked.

It seemed so indeed. However, Xavier had put a lot of thought in choosing the grand gift for her. Had she not thought of his help as burden, he would have set up the new country all by himself. The only thing left for her to do would be rule.

"The help is part of the gift. Even if you don't want a new country, you could use the land anyway. Commercialize it. Sell it to people. Anything." He wanted to add. But he stopped himself when he found a hint of satisfaction on her face due to his silence. 

"She wants to shame me." He realized.

He faked a sheepish smile. "Seems like we forget to analyze different aspects in excitement. I apologize, My Lady. We weren't aware how big of a headache we were about to give you, latent in form of a gift."

"Ugh! Why isn't he genuinely flustered? Or embarrassed? If he just smiles and accepts his fault, he'll come off as humble." Ariana was burning from inside. 

"So the jewels you had ordered to be imported for her crown, shall I halt the delivery?" Duchess Lily asked Xavier through mind-link.

"No. We'll make a tiara for her with those stones. The only crown she will wear will be the Crown of the Queen Consort, it seems." Xavier sighed.

"Let us all head for breakfast now." Duke Lorenzo announced.

As everyone proceeded to the Dining Hall, King Xavier called for Alpha Anwar. All the members of Bennet family stayed back. They looked at each other in confusion while Duke Lorenzo handed Alpha Anwar a scroll.

Anwar quickly opened and read it. He did not have to read much as it stated in the very first paragraph that the Bennet family was receiving punishment. Color drained from his face. "This isn't fair, Your Majesty!"

"Why? What's written there?" asked former Alpha Edward.

Anwar gulped. He closed the scroll and looked at his father. "It says that the Royal Institution is withdrawing its financial aid from five of our projects as well as the welfare for Xanthus sufferer."

"What?!" Persephone shrieked. "Xavier, you cannot do this!"

Xavier clenched his jaw before speaking. "First of all Lady Bennet, you weren't even allowed to address us by our name before. What makes you think you can do it now? And the second thing, we are obligated to provide justice to those who have been wronged. Especially her."