Happiness

Shout out to @crazythando

Simon stood in front of his mirror and straitened the blue tie that hung round his neck. The warm June air drifted lazily in from his window, and Simon yearned for the coming end of school standing just around the corner, but to get there he'd need to get through a few more days. A tie to school was a new experience a few months prior, but today it adorned his neck in a sensible and normal manner, as if he'd worn one his whole life. His white dress shirt was neatly pressed, as Simon liked to keep it, and his hair combed swiftly from his eyes. St. Anne's Preparatory School for Boys had seemed like the end of the world, when Liam made him privy to the fact that he was going to be finishing out the school year, on the neatly manicured shut out lawns of the local Catholic School.

Liam had told him that his grandparents had sent over the money, and requested that Simon's education be finished in a proper Catholic way, but this made Simon suspicious. His grandparents had never much cared for his education before, nor were they particularly religious. They clung to a 'laissez faire' ideology that allowed them to live in Florida without interruption from their charges in Boston.

This information was brought to Simon just one day after Liam caught him and Shea together, and Simon wondered if it might have something to do with Liam wanting Simon away from Shea. Not that changing schools would have mattered much, being that Shea was well into his time at Cambridge, though Liam was unaware of that fact.

Simon liked St. Anne's. He liked the commitment to education. He liked the focus on the arts. He liked the serious, if a little stuck up, students. Mostly he liked that almost everyone had chosen to be there, rather than the forced nature of communal anguish fostered by Boston Central Schools. He was sure it was good for him too, being that fullness had returned to his cheeks, and a sparkle brought to his eyes. In this new environment, it was less of a chore to be cheerful, it took less of a toll on his health to be kind. Simon felt as if he could finally be himself more freely, and it was a good feeling.

"Morning, Liam." Simon smiled, sitting next to his brother.

"Good Morning, Simon." Liam nodded in response. The largest change to their situation was Liam, now a smiling shell of his former manic depressive self. Liam found it easier to function as well, and vowed he'd continue to make the money so Simon could continue to find peace in his Eden. Sure, he was tired, and borderline working himself to death, but Liam was proud of himself though. "Would you like a ride?"

"Sure!" Simon nodded, glad to avoid the bus. "What have you got going on today?"

"Practice after school." Liam responded lazily, allowing his eyes to linger on Simon, "You seem chipper."

"I suppose." Simon smiled slightly, "You as well."

"I suppose." Liam repeated with a larger smile. Simon had benefited from the change, but Liam even more. It was as if a large weight had been lifted off his heavy shoulders. Simon liked that look.

Life was less of a whirlwind at St. Anne's; everything seemed almost trapped, frozen in time. Nothing seemed to change or evolve, everything was stagnant. The trees, the fountains, the flowers, the desks, the chairs, the food, everything was the same, and it was comforting. Things changed so quickly at Boston Central. Simon thought that if he took to large a breath he'd miss a million different things.

The one window Simon allowed himself into his old ways was social media. He kept tabs on all his old friends and acquaintances, looking for them to be in good standing. Most notably, Garrett had led the team to a championship victory in the absence of Asher, and though Simon longed to reach out to the estranged Asher, he knew it was always best to let Asher make up his own mind, and come back when he wanted. Somehow Simon had hurt him by being his friend, and Asher was too fragile to risk that again.