Chapter 4 - Take a Walk

Codi discovered quickly that although Battlecast allowed, even encouraged individual fighting style the instructors constantly reminded them that they were part of a team. Battlecast won and lost as an academy and anyone who had a problem with that philosophy was welcome to shut up, or get out.

After three days of virtually killing the new bloods, the instructors began to introduce sparring training. To Codi's amazement, they didn't lose a single recruit during the vicious induction period, despite more than one of the youngest in the programme collapsing or throwing up from exertion. It was then that she truly began to grasp just how much a position at Battlecast meant to these teenagers. The hundred and fifty that had made it this far had already been whittled down from a pool of thousands of applicants.

Kitted out in her personally fitted practice gear, Codi took up her position on the gel padded floor panels, lowering into her established fighting stance. Her technique was still a mess, but a well co-ordinated one, and she saw little reason to ditch the style that had carried her to second place in last year's competition.

Opposite her Gareth took up his station, his eyes shining with frustration. She knew how he felt. He obviously wanted a full spar just as much as she did, but right now things were carefully micromanaged by Thradd and the others. Only a select few moves were sanctioned for this training bout.

"Mr. Hosk, you can begin," Thradd barked.

The glint of a smile hovered on Gareth's features and Codi braced herself. This may only have been practice, but both of them were Gauntlet veterans, both well able to execute the basic selection of throws on the agenda. It explained why Thradd had paired them together to open the session, so younger fighters could observe the techniques in action. Nonetheless, she knew full well that this was going to hurt.

Once she reached the choreographed point she swung a left hook. Right on cue, Gareth caught her arm, twisted his body and flipped her through the air with a savage yank. She didn't offer much resistance, only enough to make her opponent perform the move properly. There was a brief moment of weightlessness, and then Gareth completed the throw, slamming her onto the matt.

Codi knew how to distribute her weight to take the sting out of the impact upon landing, but it still jolted her back when she hit the ground. She rolled smoothly to her feet and turned to look Gareth in the eye. A mischievous smile crossed her face when she found him glaring back. He'd need to try a lot harder to intimidate her.

"Good!" Thradd declared, taking their attention. "Strong technique, smooth execution - the rest of you, take note." He paused, as though considering his next course of action. Then he spoke: "Reset. James - your turn to throw."

She took up her position again with barely disguised relish. She'd learned from her days in Brax-Delta that personal emotions were a double-edge sword in the Gauntlet, but if one could manage them properly they could be a tremendous asset. She couldn't keep the smile of anticipation off her face as they prepared to execute the throw.

Gareth stepped in fast, faster than the drill strictly called for, but Codi didn't waver. She caught the swinging arm and in a vicious motion, whirled and flipped him head over heels. However, rather than letting go straight away, she kept hold of Gareth's arm just long enough to give a little extra downward momentum and drive him hard into the padded mats. A gasp of surprise escaped from his mouth as he thudded against the ground, the wind driven from his lungs.

Codi bounced back on the balls of her feet, staring at the other fighter like wolf as he slowly picked himself up, once arm clutched over his ribs. The rest of the group exchanged curious looks as they waited for Thradd's appraisal. Codi looked at the instructor and held his granite gaze.