Sudden Changes (Part Two)

This first encounter sets you on edge. You hate to admit it, that barely a few minutes into your tenure at Dauntless you're already convincing yourself it's all a mistake, but that's the way it is. This is probably how your life will be until the day you die- terrified over the smallest of incidents, sure that any small happening means that Jeanine Matthews will be sending an assassin your way. This is no way to live, but you're not sure that you have a choice about it. No, you have no choices left at all.

It was either this or die outright, you remind yourself. Even this nerve-strained way of life is better than that initial bullet. At least now you have time to grow and at least pretend that you got the easy way out, right? However, you're not sure where to go from now. Jeanine included no terms of service in her deal. In fact, the only thing she said was that you would have to choose Dauntless. Then again, you're fairly sure that if this man, Four, found out what you'd seen, you'd be back in that same scared place where you started.

That's why you were sent to Dauntless in the first place, isn't it? Jeanine wanted you to keep your mouth shut. You'd either learn to live as a mindless, brainless soldier, seamlessly fitting into the ranks, or you'd die and be stuck as a washed-out factionless roaming the streets, with nothing to do and no one to listen to you. However, you're fairly sure that she hadn't counted on one of her own Dauntless leaders questioning your presence here. Apparently Jeanine's agenda only extends so far as herself, although that's no surprise to anyone who's ever known her.

This man, Four, however, you don't know him as well. You may know Jeanine, or at least you thought you had, but he is a complete blank to you. You could swear that he looks familiar, like you've seen his face before, but every time you comb your memories, searching for a name to put to the face, you can't remember a thing. This is unfortunate, especially since remembering who Four is could mean the difference between coming face to face with another one of Jeanine's guards or accidentally discovering someone who could be an ally to you.

Regardless of who Four is or what his intentions are, you can be sure of one thing: he knows you, or must recognize you from somewhere, and he's not going to leave you alone anytime soon. Ever since that first meeting, when he'd stared at you like you were someone he had pushed to the farthest corners of his mind, sure that he'd never see you again, it was as if he had sworn to himself that he'd never leave you alone. Wherever you look, he is there: down the table in the mess hall, watching you spar in training, eyes locked onto your knives and targets as you throw. His presence is silent, and he's about as likely to say anything to you as any of the other initiates, but it's there nonetheless. You can't help but feel unnerved. You had hoped to blend into the crowds of trainees, but Four is making that impossible.

So, you throw yourself into your training with additional fervor. If he's going to keep watching you, you might as well make sure that everyone else is watching you as well. Target practice, both with a knife and a gun, comes surprisingly easy to you. Maybe it's because they both rely on taking careful aim, having perfect balance between what the eye sees and what the mind knows to be true. It's about as close as you'll ever get to Erudite in this dark corner of the city that the madmen call Dauntless.

Hand-to-hand combat, on the other hand, is not your forte. Not at all. You get the drills, sure, and it's a good workout, but every time you're put up against another opponent it's like you're missing some key part of a melody, repeating the same choppy chords while everyone else is improvising an entire symphony. Your punches are solid and sure, exactly what you'd practiced, but you can't seem to quite put the pieces together the way the other initiates can.

Maybe it's because you're not used to this, the abandonment of all rational thought. As you watch your opponents, you notice one common thread among all those who win: they seem to run on pure adrenaline, and even when they study their opponent's thought patterns, they don't get lost in their heads, moving only with the speed of their fists. That's where you're lacking, you suppose, you're still trying to cling to your past. If you let yourself truly fall, you might find something other than just the rocks at the bottom.