Prologue

"Secrets are kept from children, a lid on top of the soup kettle, so they do not boil over with too much truth."
--Joy Luck Club

(edited by the amazing AkiMio)

5-year-old Tiana's P.O.V

"You're too young to understand."

As a child, you probably hear this at least once, whether it's adults talking to each other quietly or you asking a question that "doesn't concern you." But has it ever occurred to them that they're just underestimating how powerful certain feelings are?

The sun shines bright in my eyes, spreading a warm feeling all over my body. The light reveals the pink explosion that is my room. With barbies making up my floor and stuffed animals nearly suffocating me in my bed, I am the typical 5 year old girl.

Only being woken up seconds ago, I spring from my Disney-themed bed and run to my walk-in closet to choose my fun outfit for the day. There is so much to decide from. All of my clothes consist of sun-faded dresses and skirts with grass stains.

After many seconds of searching, I finally find a flowery dress that isn't one of my favorites so if I get it dirty, then I won't be as upset. With some struggle, I slide into the fabric. In front of me is a full sized mirror that is much taller than I am.

There is a girl. Short and chubby. Bright green eyes that sparkle. Thick hair with an infinite amount of tangles; long, tight red curls that cascade down her back. Pale skin that would not tan, but is sprinkled with thousands of little brown freckles that cover her whole body. But the most prominent feature of all is her smile. When people see her pearly white teeth, it is nearly impossible not to smile back.

I see a happy kid looking back at me. How could I have known that would change so drastically?

~~~

"Good morning, family!" I yell out to everyone. The older people grunt, complaining about it being "too early," and the ones my age shout back at me with just as much, if not more, excitement.

I run to my Uncle Ray and Aunt Mara. They are talking to my daddy and other uncles and aunts.

"Hi!" I wave vigorously at them.

They give me a smile that doesn't reach their eyes before talking to daddy again. I don't understand what that means, so I keep talking.

"Last night... last night I dreamt that... uhhh... I was a princess!" I yell in remembrance.

They nod their heads to show they are listening. But they aren't.

"It was scary, though. Really scary...this knight came to my rescue, but instead of saving me, he took out his sword."

I get everyone's attention with those words.

"... and... I... I don't remember what happened next." Just like that, they return to their conversations. I look down in fright. "It really was scary though."

"I know it was," my mom whispers from behind me. I turn around and a smile appears on my face once again.

"Mommy!" I cry out, and run into her arms. She giggles at my excitement and squeezes me tight.

"One day your knight and shining armor will come and take good care of you," she says sincerely to me. "I promise."

We sit there in silence for a while, drinking in the pleasant sounds of morning until we are interrupted by a bouncing, cheerful boy tugging on mummy's clothes.

"Yes, Ryder?"

"Um..." He pauses, thinking over what he came to ask. "Can Tiana come out to play kickball?" he asks with hopeful eyes.

My eyes light up. "Please, Mama! Can I?"

"Please?" we both whine.

"Okay, okay. You go have some fun."

"Yay! Thank you, Mama! You're the best mama in the world!" She smiles down at me with more than she says with her words.

~~~

"Did you see, Tiana? Did you see?" Ryder asks excitedly after he kicks the ball. "It flew so high!"

"Yeah! That was awesome! But where did the ball go?" We briefly search and discover it stuck in a tree. I think about it for a second before coming up with an idea. "Hold me up, I'll get it."

He gives me a weary look.

"Be careful."

"Yeah, yeah." I wave him off and jump into his hands.

I reach higher and higher; then I do the one thing you're not supposed to do. I look down. "Don't let me fall, Ryder! Don't let me fall!"

Back then, I had no idea the truth behind that plea. With my feet in his tiny, 5-year-old hands, he held on tight. But I fell in a different way. One that doomed me from that day on, and changed my life forever.

A/N:

Hey everyone! I hope you all enjoyed the first chapter of the spin off. I will be updating every Tuesday and Friday. I'm currently sick :(. Sucks but oh well. Let's try for 200 views maybe? I don't know how many of you are from the first story so yea...Goodbye fellow readers and have a terrific Tuesday.

Vote

Comment

Follow