33| Gaping Hole

Chapter 33: Gaping Hole.

I sat lazily on my bed, trying to read another wattpad romance since I'd just destroyed mine.

I couldn't read a single word, everything felt foreign to me, my head was already crowded with one thought, Ashton.

While everyone would be happy to be going back home tomorrow, they were more ecstatic to watch the match of the month, the rematch between Joey Vs Ashton.

I'd promised Paul I'd come two weeks ago but here I was, still in my pyjamas on a Friday night, trying to rethink my life decisions.

I wanted to believe I'd done the right thing, I'd saved what truly mattered. Ashton would heal, it would take time but I was sure he'd heal and bounce right back up, just like his sprained ankle, it was his defining quality.

Unlike him, my pain wouldn't heal, it was engraved in me, the pain of rejecting him even when he opened his heart to me, he said those three magical words.

I love you.

It hurt but I was going to live with that gaping hole in my heart.

I sighed as I turned in bed of my empty apartment, Angie had gone with Alex to watch the match and I was all alone.

This half of the semester had been such a roller coaster, from my work at the gym to getting to know him, getting to live in the world of Ashton Malik.

I could only imagine what the next half could bring, a new start, one where we didn't know eachother, where our social circles didn't clash.

I finally stood from my bed when I couldn't get into reading, venturing to the kitchen to make some coffee.

There was a loud knock on the door by the time I'd finished with the coffee, I looked through the peep hole and found Paul outside.

"Hey," I greeted as I opened the door.

"Hey, aren't you coming? The match is today," Paul said.

"I don't think I can, I don't feel too well so I may just sit at home," I lied.

Paul raised a brow, digging his hand into his pocket as he recovered a single ticket and handed it to me.

"Incase you change your mind," he said.

I nodded as he turned to leave, I was about to close the door when he turned back to me.

"Maddie, see you next mid semester I guess," he said.

It soon became a realisation that I wasn't going to be seeing a lot of my friends after tonight, exams were already over and everyone was more than happy to leave for home tomorrow.

He'd leave and would probably forget about me.

I nodded as I gave Paul a small smile before sealing the door. I rushed back to my bed and let new fresh tears fall out my eyes.

I didn't want this, I never did, but I had to play with the cards I'd been dealt with, the cards Joey gave me.

I grabbed my phone, replaying my dads voicemail as I cried, tears free flowing.

I needed someone to talk to, I was tired of bottling up my emotions just to get hurt more and more.

My finger hovered across a familiar number I hadn't called in a while, my dads.

Ring

Ring

Please pick up, please.

Ring

Each ring felt agonising, I didn't want to be alone, I needed to talk to someone, I had to.

Ring

"Hello..."

•••

Things are coming to a conclusion, Maddie finally gets a one on one talk with her dad, what do you think he's going to say?

I really love to here your thoughts and don't forget to vote if you've enjoyed the story so far.

You can check out my other works, Study Partners and Recklessly Driven for more silly main characters and hot boys.

See ya
-Thea

Ig: @thea_caylen