34

I'm curious, are you guys seeing how Nina now is different from how she was in Take the Shot?

I'm not sure if I'm doing a good job showing how dying and the amnesia has changed her or how she's falling for Fitz all over again. I'm trying really hard to avoid the cliché, 'I remember everything now so I'm back to being the exact person I was before' plot and I think I've done a decent job with that after Coulson told Nina what she was missing.

What do you think ?

But anyway, insecurities about my writing aside, I hope you enjoy this chapter.

*

Nina was lucky enough to get back to the base at the exact time her hour was up. Did she run?... maybe, but no one needed to know that.

"Agent Ramos?" A voice called out to her when she stepped through the door. An agent was waiting for her and just like the majority of agents on the base, Nina didn't know who they were.

"Yes?" She answered with a slight questioning tone. Not many agents outside of the main team spoke to her, they were all too afraid and ever since her recent change; saw her more of an executioner than an agent.

"Director Coulson and Agent May are in his office. I was told to direct you there once you arrived," they stated, hands folded politely behind their back. Nina watched as their eyes trailed down to the scar on her neck, visible through the transparent film wrapped around to protect her tattoo.

"Thank you," Nina said, reaching up and tugging at the collar of her shirt. The action made the agent realised they'd been caught but as they gulped nervously, Nina stepped around them, heading to the office and missing the apology that left their mouth.

She wondered what could be going on for her to get called into Coulson's office. Where it wasn't uncommon for Coulson to ask for her input during assignments, Nina was convinced that privilege had been revoked the moment she submerged the basement in shadows.

She questioned whether, like Skye, she was about to be sent somewhere but Coulson had told her before that she'd remain on base, and it was unlike him to go against his word.

Nina couldn't think of a reason as to why she would be needed in Coulson's office and that worried her, though that worry did wear off quite quickly when she knocked and opened the door to hear a familiar voice follow after Coulson's.

"Agent 33 infiltrated your base to break out Sunil Bakshi?" Coulson asked confused as Nina walked into the room, she smiled widely when she saw the person he was speaking to was not May beside him but Talbot, who was on the big monitor before them.

"Turns out she wasn't working alone, either," Talbot said before his eyes locked on Nina and he smiled himself, "wonderful of you to join us, Agent Ramos."

"Why the formalities, Uncle Talbot?" Nina grinned cheekily setting down a brown box she'd brought with her as May and Coulson turned to look at her, "don't say you're still mad at me as well?"

"George was never mad at you, he was just upset," the general spoke about his son, momentarily forgetting he wasn't only in the presence of his 'niece', "but can you blame him? You died and came back to life without telling him."

"In my defence, I didn't tell a lot of people," Nina said, very aware of how weak that defence was, "they all kinda just found out through Tony's press release."

"Yeah I know, I was one of those people," Talbot rolled his eyes, "which is exactly why I understand his feelings."

Nina laughed nervously before rubbing the back of her neck, "yeah... sorry about that."