SIXTEEN

XVI

OBLIVION      . . .      𝑏𝘰𝘰𝑘 1
﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌
Rafe Cameron ━━━ CALLISTA MAYBANK
He soon learnt that in this world the only person he could really count on was the girl.

ACT ONE

━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━

Pope wrapped his arms around the girl the second that he saw her, he could tell that something was wrong but he didn't think she would want to talk about it, so he didn't ask.

Cal instantly relaxed into the boys arms, he was like an older brother to the girl. Pope had been in her life for as long as she could remember and she wouldn't have it any other way.

JJ furrowed his brows once he saw his sister, he noticed the way that her usual smile had faded and the way that her eyes seemed almost sad. He didn't ask her what was wrong, she was very much like him in that way, she would prefer to be left alone.

"What are you guys doing?" Cal questioned curiously, she had gone to Heyward's store and saw Pope and JJ down at the dock, seemingly loading bags onto the boat.

"Taking groceries to the rich." JJ chuckled. "You're welcome to come along, Cal."

Cal nodded, appreciating the invite. She pulled away from Pope and climbed onto the boat, placing her hands out in front of her so that Heyward could pass her some bags of groceries.

Heyward smiled thankfully towards Cal before handing her some groceries. He knew that she was reliable, whenever he needed someone to cover a shift, she would always offer, so he trusted her to help his son and her brother to take the groceries to the kooks.

"You boys get these groceries over to Figure Eight. Get straight back here when you're done." Heyward paused. "No fishin'. I promised delivery by this afternoon." He turned to grab some more bags of groceries whilst still complaining about JJ and Pope. "Rich folks don't wanna wait for you lazy sons of-"

The man was cut off by JJ standing with his hands out for some more bags, making Heyward look at the boy, he allowed a smile to form on his face before glancing towards Cal, who was leaning against the side of the boat.

"Oh, JJ, thank you." He grinned. "-sons of bitches." Heyward finished, handing the final bags to his son.

"Right." Pope nodded, placing the bags down and then going to stand beside Cal, his arm slinging around her shoulder. Her head rested on his shoulder and smile up at him.

The boat ride towards the cut was quiet, JJ kept twirling his knife and Cal stood in front of Pope as he drove the boat. His hands rested over hers as they held the wheel, he promised that he would teach her how to drive the boat every chance he got.

"Doesn't even look like the storm hit there." Pope glanced towards one of the house on Figure 8. It looked immaculate, almost as if the storm had just jumped over that house.

"That's because they got generators, bro." JJ shrugged, flipping his knife up and catching it expertly. "Get used to it. And then they say the juice will be out all summer at the cut."

Cal rolled her eyes, the last thing they needed was to be left in the state that the storm had left. They needed to clean it up and get everything up and running again. Summer wouldn't be much fun if they had no power.

"It's nice to be a Kook." Pope sighed, moving Cal's hand further down the wheel so that he had better control.

"Lucky bastards." JJ tutted, glancing down to his sister.

The red head looked towards her brother, wondering what he was staring at them for but just decided to shrug it off instead. She chewed her bottom lip and plucked up the courage to ask,

"Where are you both going to?"

"The Island Inn." Pope responded, he let go of a chuckle. It was only Kooks that could go through a hurricane and then want to get pogues to deliver them alcohol so they could drink.

"The Camerons." JJ responded. "Come with me?"

Cal nodded, she had calmed down a bit and now maybe she could go and see Rafe. She felt like he owed her an apology for him pushing but also she felt like he should know what goes on at home, after all it's been a year and she mainly stayed at his or John B's.

"Sure." Cal nodded in agreement. She could just play it off as wanting to be with JJ whilst he was on figure 8.

JJ opened his arms for his sister, making the girl chuckle and pull away from Pope to hug the boy. She always felt safe with both the boys. She could take care of herself, and they both knew that. But it felt nice when she was upset to have them around and looking out for her.

"What was wrong earlier?" JJ rested his chin on the girls head.

Cal just shrugged, she knew that he would disapprove if she told him told him that she was with Rafe and he was demanding to know who hurt her. JJ hated if anyone knew about what his dad did to them. He told Cal to always keep it a secret, that it was their business and no one else's.

"Nothing important." Cal placed her hands over JJ's giving them a reassuring squeeze.

He didn't seem to believe her but he decided to leave it, not wanting to push for answers if she didn't want to talk about it to him. He respected his sisters privacy.

"You home tonight?" He asked softly, it was more of a whisper so that Pope didn't hear.

"Only if you are." Cal nodded.

"I'll be there, I promise." JJ confirmed, the only promise he ever made to his sister was that he would always tell her if he was going home. And he always intended to keep that promise.

socials
instagram ~ vxidcameron & em.newman
snapchat ~ emilynewman1234
tik tok ~ vxidbucky & leeandhan