Wattpad Original

Chapter 1

"You know," Nicky said meditatively, watching the trees as we drove down the highway, "I think this might have just been an excuse to get me out of the Stronghold for a few days."

"That could be a possibility."

In fact, bringing Nicky along on this Nightstalker hunt was very likely Nina's way of ensuring Nicky wasn't left unsupervised in the Stronghold.

"We've been driving for two days. How close are we to where they encountered the Nightstalker?" Nicky asked plaintively.

"They drove two days and through the entire night in hopes of getting to Ironwind in time," Nina said, looking through the open window in the back of the truck, "so we'll probably reach the area tomorrow afternoon."

"At least our truck hasn't broken down yet."

"Hush," I told her sternly. "You'll tempt fate with words like that."

She snickered and stretched her leg to bump her foot against mine. "Your luck isn't that bad. Besides, things could be worse. I could have packed coffee to help ease our boredom."

I growled faintly. "I would have smelled it by now, and it would have disappeared without a trace."

Turning in her seat so she could see us better, Nina told Nicky, "It isn't boring to us. The differences between peace and boredom all boil down to how someone perceives the situation."

"I don't believe that."

Nina shrugged. "It's kind of like that old saying, is the glass half full, or half empty? It's how you choose to see things."

"Uh-huh. Want to know my perception of that saying?" Nicky asked. Without pausing for a reply, she continued, "If the glass is only half full, and it's clear, are you sure it's water? I bet it's the beginning of a drinking party to alleviate the boredom."

"I highly doubt the person contemplating the different outlooks on life was planning a party," Nina pointed out.

"Maybe not, but my counselors talked about life, and they sure wanted alcohol after our sessions. I bet their glasses weren't half empty to start with either."

I smirked at Nicky's reply and Nina's wince.

"What road was that house down again?" Daniel asked Nina. "I think it's the next turnoff, but I've only driven this way once before."

Nina opened the map. "Where are we... ah, here. Yes, it's the next turnoff."

That was the best news I'd heard all day. We'd only stopped for a few breaks, and it was already after seven o'clock. The mattress creaked as I shifted my weight to look ahead, although the road looked pretty much like what we'd been staring at all day.

We slowed down and turned off the highway, going down a gravel side road. After several turns, Daniel pulled up in front of a house and turned the truck off.

He opened his door and got out. "This place is used by various traders and travelers. The roof is peaked, so we can't camp on it, but there are bars over the windows and a wood stove inside."

I eyed up the bars dubiously. "I'm pretty sure you or I could get past those bars without too much trouble. They may keep Runners and regular zombies at bay, but I doubt they'll protect against anything else."

"That's why the two of us are here," Daniel said as he grabbed a large duffle bag and some supplies out of the back of the truck.

I guess he does have a point. I grabbed several bags and jumped to the ground, waiting for Daniel to come out before I went inside. After two days on the road, I now realized just how little we saw each other in the Stronghold, and what kind of difference it made on our mood.