37. A Little Something from Home (Sai)

The unimaginable uproar, coming from the big, black hall can be heard even at the farthest ends of the enormous passage between the high colonnades. Almost a thousand people are gathered there. The ambassadors of every tribe on the Continent are waiting impatiently for the Great Assembly to start. This is the third known time that it has been convened. The first one, as the legend tells, was held in the Lost Caves, at the first appearance of the fiery monsters. The second was gathered to announce my birth. This one's purpose is to save the world.

   I am squeezing Dey's hand tightly as we are walking slowly towards the entrance. The hallway is packed with people. It seems every single inhabitant of the royal palace is here, from the high nobility to the last servant. The multitude parts like an ocean, withdrawing its waves to make way for us. 

   I am fighting to keep the smile on my face, but my heart is racing. I'm used to always having crowds around me wherever I go, but this is different. Everyone's eyes are pinned on us with one single expectation, to save their very existence. I take a deep breath and straighten my posture. I will never bend under the heavy burden again. I'll be Dey's strongest support. I breathe hope and live on courage. We are the High Protectors. I don't have the right to be weak anymore.

   "Are you nervous, Moon Ray?" he bends closer to my ear. "I've been into the most savage battles, but have never felt so anxious. How about we just run away together on a honeymoon in Eleysan's mountains and try everything that those healers taught you?"

   "Tempting," I giggle quietly, "but we both know that you'll never do it."

   "Aaah," Dey sighs deeply. "Life can be very difficult with such a smarty for a spouse."

   "Prince Dai Danail!" we hear a deep, male voice and Dey is suddenly scooped in a clumsy hug. Lord Malderyn, the white-bearded commander of the Northern Kingdom's cavalry is patting him on the back, obviously delighted to see us. "Congratulations, my boy! I heard about the negotiations. Hahaha! I have never been more proud of you! I was watching you, growing up in front of my eyes in that desert pit of fire and knew that a day would come when you would put His Majesty, The Beast in his place."

   His vibrant, sincere laughter drowns out the noise around us. The rugged man nods amiably to me, "I wish you all the best, Prince Dai Stial! Take good care of this boy. He might be rough around the edges, but has a heart of gold."

   "I know," I return his warm smile. "I could not dream of a better one."

   "Did you go back home, my lord?" Dey asks with a little sadness in his voice. "Has it changed?"

   "Not in the least," the warrior grins from ear to ear. "You can still find the most beautiful women and the best wine there. Hahaha! Oh, wait a second! I've got a little something from home for your beloved prince. This is not a wedding gift. The real one I'll give you at the marriage ceremony. I just saw this and thought you'd like him to have it."

   He shoves his hand in a leather purse, hanging from his belt and takes out a crumpled flower. Despite the fact that it has seen better days, it's still incredibly beautiful. Its delicate petals, as if woven of fine silver threads, spread a soft glow.

   "What is this?" I ask, gazing at the tiny natural wonder.

   "The moon flower," Dey whispers, carefully placing it on my palm. "I'll take you to the Midnight Fields someday. They are difficult to reach and very dangerous since the mountain death bats' territory is nearby, but it's worth it. You've never seen such a place." 

   He raises his hand and shouts "Silence!" The nosy chatter around us immediately fades away. "Blow on it," he smiles.

   The moment the air stream hits the silver fibers, a gentle ringing echoes through the quiet hall. The stronger I blow, the more rich and melodic the sound is. It's like the bickering of a mountain brook and sonorous bird trills. The sweet melody resonates in every part of my body, making me warm and ecstatic. The flower's glow changes its colors from light yellow, through pale violet to rich purple.

   I stop only when I am completely out of breath and look around. Everyone is gazing at the miracle in my hand as if under a spell. Suddenly, the silent crowd erupts in loud cheers. 

   "Did you like it?" Dey stares into my eyes dreamily.

   "I loved it!" I beam, still unable to comprehend what exactly just happened. I hurry to hide the precious blossom in my sleeve and exclaim, "I can't wait to come with you in Eleysan!"

   "Soon, Moon Ray," Dey kisses my forehead.

   "Thank you, my lord!" I turn to Lord Malderyn who is so pleased with himself that has puffed up like a peacock.

   "Urgh! Enough flattery and cringing!" someone growls behind me. Its the frowning Lord Bardal whose scowl leaves no doubt of his contempt.

   I am tempted to give him another lesson, but my father approaches, "Everything is ready. We can begin."

   We head to the assembly, followed by the Supreme Council of Eleysan.

____________________________________

Photo 118359568 / Mystical Flower © Irinayeryomina | Dreamstime.com

A/N

Hello at the end of chapter 37!

Thank you for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

Next is the Great Assembly where Dey has to convince everyone to to carry out his plan.

Do you think he'll succeed?

Will there be resistance? 🤔

last chance for some theories about what he's up to. 😉

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize, if you think it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

Love: Anny