IV

Dylan

Looking down at my notepad, I sighed intently. Class was ending now and I had barely jotted down two bullet points. One of my notes contained at least four question marks; that's three question marks too many for a single sentence. My day had began with me oversleeping because I had been up all night with Kai playing video games, and now: question marks.

Lack of sleep or not, I never understand what is going on in class. Most people in this class were here because they wanted to be, but I wasn't so sure. The professor unplugged his laptop, promising to upload the PowerPoint onto the student portal later, but I knew deep within me that I would never be checking that PowerPoint back over, despite being clueless throughout class.

Taking out my headphones, I pressed play on some music before dragging myself to the student café. I bought myself a vanilla milkshake, bopping my head, before settling into a booth and reaching to take out my lunch, but it wasn't there. Most places on campus sold food that I didn't like, so I always packed myself lunch to eat on campus, but due to oversleeping I had forgotten it. Sulking, I eyed the food board in the café with disdain. My heart was pounding as I mulled over my options. I suppose I could ask for just chips.

Somebody tapped my shoulder and I flinched, jumping away as I looked up in shock. Usually I ate here everyday with Kai, but it was Nate who was stood in front of me today. Peeling my headphones off of my head, I accidentally let the music leak from the headphones and into the noise of the busy café.

"Nate?" I asked in confusion, wide eyed.

"Your lunch, you forgot it." He placed my lunchbox in front of me, "I walk past you eating here with Kai enough to know it's a daily occurrence."

Since I had only spoken a few words to Nate, I couldn't quite fathom the fact he had picked up on my little routines. He must have noticed my lunchbox in the fridge the night before classes everyday and realised it was left behind this morning. It was surprisingly considerate of him. I had kind of expected to never speak to Nate again until we moved out and he forgot I existed.

I mean, if University was the feudal system then Nate would be the king at the top and I would be right down at the bottom with the farmers.

Stilled with surprised, I glanced around the café and back to my lunchbox, trying to find the words to say something. Usually I just eat lunch with Kai and talk endlessly with him about whatever game we were playing before heading to a lecture or something, so I wasn't exactly prepared to see Nate right now, let alone speak to him. I don't think I've even ever seen Nate outside of our flat so it was a bit of an interruption to my usual routine.

"Thank you!" I managed to get out, "I really appreciate it and I'm sorry for forgetting it."

"You really don't have to apologise; it's not a big deal. Bye." He seemed confused by my apology.

"Bye."

Nate left without so much as a glance backwards and I blinked at my lunchbox, clicking it open. Everything was untouched, just the way I had packed it last night, and I was saved the pain of going hungry. I'd have to thank Nate again. Just then, a wide eyed Kai sat down. He silently gestured to our flatmate who had just walked out, mouthing a 'what the fuck' at me. It was indeed a 'what the fuck' moment.

"What happened there?" Kai kept his voice down, sipping his herbal tea.

"I can't begin to explain how crazy things have been lately." I sighed, "This is just the cherry on top."

"Nate has ignored our existence for months and now he's bringing you lunch?"

"To be fair, I made this myself. I just forgot it." I took a bite.