Chapter 4: Alan

I couldn't get over the fact that Violet could read my mind. Just like that. I should have been happy for her...but I just couldn't find it in me. I plastered a fake smile onto my face. "Freddy just pinged me. I'm gonna meet with him at the construction site."

My sister nodded. "I know where that is," she said. "Don't worry, I'll just stay here and keep watch. You can trust me." She shot me a glare. She was still angry at me for doubting her capabilities.

Grabbing a small backpack, I headed out of the hideout. Since Freddy was a Medic, he often came by to the West Quarter on patrols. The Government had to up the amount of patrols since a lot of dirty stuff happened in our Sector. Some people would do a lot to get their hands on money.

It was not a long way to the construction site. It had been under construction for about a month now, and it was almost finished. The Government had ordered for a small building to be built near the border between the Upper and West Quarters. That's all Freddy told me when I asked him what it was for. I wasn't even sure that he knew what the building was for. Regardless of his knowledge, he always had to accompany the Builders every few days. Quite a lot of accidents would happen at construction sites, anyway.

Freddy was a trusted Official of the Government. His respected status meant that he could get his hands on some Biobags without arousing suspicion from the other Officials. They were a very cheap resource for rich people, anyway. My hands rubbed together in anticipation. We would trade the Biobags that Freddy passed to us for cash. That alone could pay for our food. 

I rounded a corner, passing through the market. The smoke rose, turning the sky a dusty shade of grey. I coughed, and the thought of me being sick returned to me. I held my breath until I'd passed the smoke. I really didn't want to get sick, as the bills for medical assistance would be very high. We couldn't afford something like that, especially not in our current state.

The aroma of the delicious food cooking in the market stalls made my stomach rumble. I hadn't eaten for a while and it was taking its toll on me. I told myself that I would get some food soon.

I imagined Violet being taken by the Government, just like our parents were. Kicking at the Guards with defiance, and screaming at them to let her go. However much I resented her mind-reading powers, I loved her all the same. Tears sprung to my eyes and I wiped them away roughly. My love for my younger sister filled me with renewed purpose.

Standing in the shelter of an old building, I checked my Messenger. The message from Freddy popped up onto the cracked screen, filling me with joy.

Meet me at the construction site. I promise it's nothing dangerous - they're almost finished there. You'll see a back door of the building. Just go through there and I'll meet you in the small room on the left.

I didn't get to see Freddy very often and I was always looking forward to our meetings. He would contact me through my Messenger - I was so lucky to have one. I would usually hide it under my sleeve because I couldn't be seen with one on the streets. Most West Quarter citizens couldn't even afford one; Freddy managed to scrape one off the shelves for me. It was cracked and it had been left by someone that didn't want it anymore.

My purposeful footsteps echoed as I started walking down a dirty alleyway. I'd seen the construction site before - I knew too well where that was. I was on my way to one of the most guarded places in the West Quarter. I reminded myself that I couldn't get caught.....I needed to get back with food for Violet.

From all my years of travelling the streets, I knew that the Officials were scattered around the West Quarter, but I had never seen so many of them in one area. They started crowding this spot about a month ago.