Chapter 2

We were two hours late. Nobody blamed Jesse. Everybody blamed me. My brother, Jason, was annoyed that his best friend wasn't there when he proposed. I knew his annoyance was pointed directly at me, but I didn't care. I could have stayed at home. If Jesse hadn't insisted and practically blackmailed me into coming, they wouldn't have caught a strand of my hair here. Like always, nobody listened to me. No one was ready to accept that it was Jesse's fault. It was easier to blame someone who constantly gives everyone a hard time.

My mother, on the other hand, was happy to see me. I couldn't find it in me to be pissed at her even though I had every right to be. My mum, despite everything that I do, loved me. She was the only one who never got pissed at me, but she would always wear a disappointed look every time something happened. She had the ability to make you feel like a complete shit when she's disappointed, which was why I tried to stay clear of her this night, but so far, she was more glad to see me than disappointed.

We sat on the patio on the rooftop with the view of the city. Champagne glasses were clinking, murmurs and happy laughter was going around, and the food was arranged perfectly on the table covered with a white linen. Jason and Kelly were holding hands, gushing over each other. My brother and his fiancée loved each other, and I could attest to that. They have been together for four years, and they were finally going to get married. Despite how I felt about Jason and Jesse, I liked Kelly. She was cool. She was the only person who didn't complain about my tardiness. She was just glad that I came. That was who she was; always happy, and always giving excuses for other people, never seeing the bad side of them.

I guess that is why I don't hang around her that much.

There were eight people on the table. Jesse, unfortunately, found himself sitting beside me. Being close to him was something that I didn't want to find myself in, but I had no control over things. It was like the more I tried to stay away from him, the closer he seemed to get. His close proximity made me tense, and it made me sit at the edge of my seat to stop myself from feeling his warmth and smelling his cologne.

"How is the shop doing, Iris?"

I didn't realize the question was thrown at me until I took too long to answer and had everyone gaping. Jason glared at me for ignoring his future father-in-law, but I didn't have the energy to defend myself.

Wiping my mouth with a napkin, I smiled awkwardly and nodded at Jeremy, my brother's father-in-law. "It's doing well," I answered, leaving it at that.

"I think you should be hired for the wedding."

"Absolutely not," Jason cut in with a nervous and panicked laugh.With only a year difference, he and I should have been closer. We were once until I realized that he could not pick me over his best friend. I may have never given him reasons to, but I thought he would still be loyal to family. My brother slide me a look with his sharp green eyes like mine before darting his gaze back to Kelly's dad. "I think we should hire professionals. Besides, I think Kelly already has someone in mind."

"Oh, I could never turn down Iris," Kelly said with a glance, her perfect face spreading into a gorgeous smile that revealed a perfect set of white teeth. "I think it's a great idea," she murmured, sounding and looking like it. "Would that be okay for you, Iris? Would you be my florist?"

Everyone stared at me. My mother nodded her head in encouragement. I could see the eyes that approved and the eyes that didn't approve. Only one stood out. Jason was not on board with the idea, and honestly, I wasn't either. If not for Kelly, I wouldn't even be here. I still stood by my words when I said she was too good for my brother. Too kind and pure. Beautiful. She stood out among crowds. I didn't understand how she chose my brother. Don't get me wrong, my brother was attractive with his sharp features and dark, slicked hair, but not to the point that I would want him to date someone like Kelly. He was Jesse's friend. They shared the same brain and personality.