chapter sixteen.

The room was quiet as I lay on the end of the bed. I could hear the faint constant buzz of the sign that had been outside the window, but that was all. I wasn't sure how long I'd been staring at the ceiling for, though long enough for me to remember the intricate details of it.

I hadn't moved an inch since we'd gotten back, my attire on and bag still wrapped around my shoulder. For no reason in particular, it just felt necessary to take time out of the moment because I was feeling far too overwhelmed to do anything else.

The bar situation was tiring in itself. Evie and Jett had decided to subtract the so called 'after party' from the equation— a party I still wasn't convinced was even real. They'd chosen to stay on at the bar, wanting to scope around for some fun and indulge in the men who they had lined up for them. I declined the offer immediately when they'd asked if I wanted to join, my mind ran into oblivion just trying to imagine myself in a scene like that.

Which then led Avery and Leon, Harry and I to all retreat to the vehicle waiting for us. The dynamic had been weird and awkward and not something I particularly wanted to live again. The whole ride consisted of the two conversing in things that Harry and I certainly did not need to hear about, we sat in shock, wide eyed and wishing the car would go in turbo speed.

I wasn't surprised when we'd finally gotten back to the hotel and reached our level, that Avery innocently slipped into Leon's room and the two had not been heard— thankfully— or seen since.

Harry hadn't said much since we'd left the bar either, and as we reached our doors, standing beside one another, he mumbled me a 'goodnight' and vanished as if he were never there. It had been an intense last few hours, so I thought it was only fair of me to collapse onto the bed, all on my lonesome, and try to not think of a damn thing.

The silence was nice. It always was. Though it was when I peered to the clock hung directly above the dresser and realised I'd been stagnant for the last twenty minutes, that I'd decided to force myself up because I knew that if I didn't now, I probably never would have.

Hoisting myself up, I swung my bag onto the floor and kicked my heels off. Slipping my dress down and stepping out of it, I walked over towards my open suitcase and rummaged around for the set I'd seen earlier. It was a white silk, with dainty blue and yellow floral patterns as well as the light pink straps and lace trim along the top.

I pulled the shorts up the length of my legs and wiggled the cropped singlet top over my shoulders. I felt a twinge of sadness within me and I wasn't particularly sure why, though I figured if I was going to be sad, I may as well feel sexy while doing so.

Walking into the bathroom and dragging a chair with me, I placed it in front of the large mirror and kneeled down onto it. "God." I sighed as I leant closer to the mirror, looking at how the liner on my eyes had smudged in the slightest bit from how hot the room had been. I ran a hand through my hair, letting out a big yawn and sinking back down onto the chair properly.

As I looked back at my tiresome reflection, it seemed as though another had joined, coming in as quiet as a ghost. "Jesus Harry, you fucking scared me." I shook, peeking through my fingers as I rose them in fright. He leant along the doorframe, in grey cotton shorts and his usual white wifebeater, a combination that made him look extremely appetising.

"You should really make sure your door is locked, I could've been anyone." He frowned, pointing out the obvious, though making me feel thankful that it was him standing in front of me now rather than anybody else. "Well thank god you're not."

"Thank god I'm not." He repeated smartly.

We watched one another through the mirror, my body clear to him as he dropped his gaze in the slightest, "Couldn't sleep?" I asked him, quirking up a brow, not having expected to see him until tomorrow. "Not even for a little, I can fuckin' hear Leon and Avery going at it." He bitterly yawned.