.15. wooden heart

.one month later..

There's a knock on my door. I wasn't expecting anyone today, so I'm in no rush to grab it.

I finish my text to Nick asking if he wants to hang out tonight before answering the door.

Things between Nick and I are getting kind of serious. We decided to continue waiting before telling Clay that we were together.

We're not afraid that he would ruin us anymore. We know perfectly well that we are meant to be together without all the pressure. I think we're just afraid of what Clay might do if he finds out.

I can imagine he will feel angry and betrayed. I can't exactly blame him, but those feelings with pass fast once he realizes how good we are together. He'll be happy for us.

I hope.

I'm surprised to see Nick holding a small gift box when I open the door.

"Hi," he says.

"Hey," I open the door more, so he can walk in. "What are you doing here? Not that it's a bad thing."

"Oh well, I wanted to give you this," he holds out the dark blue box.

"Okay?" I laugh lightly at the strange gesture. I think to myself if it's some sort of anniversary or holiday. Not one comes to mind. "Do you want me to open it now?" I ask making my way to the living room.

"Oh yeah, yeah of course," he waits impatiently for me to open it. His hands knot together over and over again. A nervous tic I've noticed in him.

I open the box to find a small jewelry box. My mouth falls open a bit and I glance up at him. He has a huge smile on his face.

I open the box to find a small wooden heart. In the heart has N + Y/I.

"It has more writing on it, if you turn it around," he shows me where the writing is.

I can tell he did it himself. The cuts aren't straight in the letters, but that just makes me love it even more.

I run my fingers over the carved words as the question carved into the heart sinks in.

Be my gf?

"Nick," I say softly, speechless from the gesture.

"You once said that we should carve our initials into Clay's tree as a way to tell him we're together." he swallows once, "And I know we're not ready for that yet, so I thought we could just have this until we can do the tree thing.."

He carved our initials into a heart. This is one of the sweetest things a man has ever done for me.

He put the time and effort into carving our initials into a heart because of a joke I made. He's so thoughtful.

"And I couldn't fit the full question, so I hope that-" he stops talking as I give him a tight hug.

I try to convey all my happiness into this one big hug to show him how much I love my gift.

"Is that a yes?" he whispers in my ear.

I pull away to look into his eyes, "Of course it's a yes."

.author's note.

had to make is official <3

have an amazing day !!

.word count.. 545