Chapter Thirteen

Hunter ~

Hunter's watch went off at 5am, pulling him from a sleep that was so deep he thought he might never wake up, or maybe it was just that he didn't want to.

Kenzie was peacefully sleeping on his chest and as much as he hated to wake her, he knew he needed to get to work.

Moving as carefully as he could, Hunter slid out from beneath Kenzie, carefully replacing her in the bed and covering her up in her plush comforter. He surrounded her in the multiple soft pillows that lined the bed, boxing her in on all sides before kissing the top of her head.

She was unmoved and completely lost in sleep which put a smile on Hunter's face that he was able to help her accomplish that. She was exhausted and the sleep she was currently getting was long overdue.

Using Kenzie's phone, Hunter called Nate to pick him up on his way to work and left a note for Kenzie propped up against the coffee maker.

"Good morning. Hope you slept well. Went to work and didn't want to wake you - Hunter"

He felt like a huge sap writing such a mushy note before he left, but otherwise he would have felt like an asshole if she woke up to an empty bed with no goodbye.

Once Nate had arrived at her apartment, Hunter quietly left and closed the door behind him, wanting nothing more than to sleep all day in that bed with Kenzie, which was a new feeling for him.

Turning around, Hunter dropped to one knee and grabbed his utility knife from his pocket. He slid a few small instruments into the lock and twisted, locking the bolt lock from the outside.

"Did you just reverse pick her lock?" Nate chuckled as Hunter climbed into his truck.

"She's still asleep. Didn't want to bother her." Hunter muttered.

They rode in silence for a few minutes with a wide grin on Nate's face before he finally spoke.

"So what happened with you two last night?"

"Nothin." Hunter said quickly with zero emotion in his voice.

Nate nodded his head, trying to read between the lines.

"So you guys just got home and went to bed?" Nate asked.

"Pretty much."

"Toooogether?" Nate added slyly.

"Fuck off."

Hunter looked out the window so Nate couldn't read the micro expressions on his face, but it was too late.

"You didn't say no." Nate said cheerfully.

"You're right. I didn't."

Hunter's words made Nate's jaw drop as he tried desperately to pay attention to the road.

"So you're saying you guys..."

"No I'm not saying that, Nate and it's none of your damn business. Jesus, gossiping like a damn school girl." Hunter snapped.

Lifting one hand in a surrender pose, Nate quit questioning Hunter, but drove the rest of the way to Knight with a wide smile plastered across his face.

I give it a good twenty minutes before every team member hears about this shit.

The only person who had beat them there was Declan, whose truck was parked out front when Nate and Hunter arrived.

"Decs real torn up about this upcoming op." Nate pointed out as they pulled into the parking lot.

"Why?" Hunter asked, furrowing his brow at Nate's statement. It was rare that Declan showed any emotion when it came to an op unless it involved someone he deeply cared about.