Chapter Thirty Two

Harry

"Can you walk us through the night you went on a date with Katrina Meyers?" I ask Jonah Leonard, his body sitting across from me in the questioning room.

"Yeah. So I met up with her at Jameson's. Around seven, I believe," he starts, calm and composed as he speaks. "We had a good time and we genuinely hit it off. I met her on Tinder, of all places. I downloaded it on a chance I'd find a relationship and when Katrina and I were talking, it was actually so nice to have a decent conversation."

I nod, taking note. Ava decided to allow me to conduct the interview with the Tinder date, but she made it clear she wants to question the step-brother. She has a knack for getting information out of people in an effective way, and with how that man was acting the other day, there's a very good chance he'll crack under pressure.

"It was good talk and never really any awkward silences. It was nice; a breath of fresh air. The date ended around ten, I want to say, and I offered her a ride home but she wanted to Uber. I totally understood, especially from her standpoint. Men have a bad rep and so I called her an Uber. Hugged her goodbye and went back to my place after," Jonah tells me, and I press my lips together.

He sounds like he's a good enough guy, but there is no way of telling anymore. The good guys can turn out to be the bad ones just as easily.

"Where do you live?" I ask, and he gives me his address.

"Do you live with anyone?" I follow up, and he nods. He gives me the names of his roommates and I write them down.

"What did you do when you got home?" I ask, and he takes a sip of the water I have laid out.

It was set there to hopefully have him drink to get his DNA to match with that collected from the rape kit performed on Katrina.

"I was playing video games with them. We live streamed that night; something my friend's been doing. We don't get a lot of views," he laughs, and I give him a small smile.

"What kind of games?" I ask, and he explains. I'm not all up to date with the video games kids are playing. My father never let me play any; I was put into fight classes and trained to work for him.

"What's the name the live is under?" I ask, and he gives me the handle.

"I'm just curious, but can I ask why I'm here?" he asks, and I click my pen.

"An incident occurred shortly after your date with Katrina. She was raped in Landon Park," I say, and his face falls.

"What?" he asks, disbelief in his eyes.

"She was taken on the street by her apartment. Then taken to the park and raped. She gave us your name, simply because you were the last person she was with. Then a few others of men she knows. We're just speaking with you to understand where you were that night," I elaborate, and he runs his hand through his hair.

"Holy crap," he breathes out, "I would never. Honestly, Katrina is like, the first girl I've talked to in the longest time. I respect her a lot, sir, and please, if there's anything I can do to help."

I hold my hand up. "Jonah, please. I understand. It's tough news to take in, but I appreciate your time. I'll be in contact with you, but I ask you not to contact her for a while. She's not in a good state, emotionally, and she's quite traumatized."

He nods his head. "God, I feel awful I can't do anything to help," he says, and I purse my lips. If this is a show, it's a phenomenal one. However, I don't think that's the case.

"It'll be alright. I appreciate your offer, but I think the information you've given me right now is all I need," I say, and he nods.

I escort him out and walk into the station, going back into the questioning room after I grab a pair of gloves and an evidence bag. The cup is placed in the bag and I take it to my office, dropping off my notes.