• | Chapter Forty-Eight | •

~ When Riley peeled her eyes open, she was staring at the familiarity of old decorations in her bedroom before she had switched it up a bit. Glow in the dark stars were still stuck to the ceiling and her face expressed pure confusion because she swore she had taken them down a few years ago. Old stuffed animals she got rid of were still sitting in their old places and the recent ones were nowhere to be found. And wasn't she just in Javen's apartment?

A mixture of Hip hop and R&B music blared down the hall into her room and she sat up slowly, becoming even more baffled than she already was. She moved off the bed and went into the hall, going the opposite direction of the stairs and to her brother's old room. The loud music continued to lead her there until she was standing outside Tristan's door.

The DO NOT ENTER sign was still on his door along with his name spelled out in spray-painted black wooden letters right above it.

"I thought they got rid of this." She muttered to herself.

She reached for the bronze doorknob and turned it. The door swung open to reveal her older brother with his back to her and filling out college applications as he bobbed his head to the music. He was dressed in his favorite black t-shirt representing both Tupac and Biggie since he admired them both and every few seconds, he'll smoothly swipe his hand over his waves.

Tears lined her eyes and her mouth instantly dried.

"T-Tristan?" She stuttered in shock.

He paused what he was doing, then got up from his seat and turned around. That same perfect, wide smile she missed so much almost brought her to her knees.

"Tristan!" She screamed in excitement as she ran towards him and hugged his buff body tightly. "I missed you so much!"

"I missed you too, baby sis." He chuckled, wrapping his arms around her and hugging her even tighter. "It's been a while."

She held onto him as if her life depended on it. In a matter of seconds, she broke down in his arms. Full-blown crying, constant flowing tears, a snotty nose, the whole works. She didn't care; she hadn't seen her brother in almost three years since his death.

"Hey, now. What's with all the crying? What I tell you 'bout all that?" He tried to ease the mood as he grabbed a box of tissues. "Here," he gave her a handful of tissues to blow her nose after wiping away a few of her tears himself, "I thought you would be happy to see me."

Riley became quiet for a minute as she collected herself and cleaned her face. Once she was done, she punched Tristan hard in his chest. "I'm so mad at you!"

He frowned while tenderly rubbing the spot she hit. "Why?"

"Because," she felt the tears coming back but she held them back, "I told you not to go to the store or at least don't go without me, and you did anyway. Then you left me, Tristan! You left me."

He sighed, then sat her down on the swivel chair. He sat next to her in another. "I didn't want to leave, you know that."

She looked away and wiped her eyes. "I know."

"You were on my mind as I was taking my last few breaths." He gently rubbed her back when she cried again, this time not as hard. "I tried to fight to stay here for you. But when that guy stabbed me again and twisted the knife... I'm glad you weren't there. If something happened to you, I don't think I'll live with that guilt, Riley."

She was angry again. "How do you think I feel? Maybe I could've saved you if you just let me come. Maybe you would still be here if you didn't leave. Maybe you would still be alive if you weren't trying to be a hero and take on that shoplifter."