Chapter Five

"Congratulations, Eddie

"Congratulations, Eddie. You chased Raven away." I was annoyed with my cousin's antics and I shot him an icy glare. "Are you happy about that?"

"Chased him away?" Eddie seemed surprised. "What? I didn't make that guy leave. He said it himself, he was late for a meeting."

"Yeah, I'm sure lots of people suddenly remember that they're late for meetings when they're talking to you." I rolled my eyes.

"Hey, if that guy didn't like my sense of humor about the bridesmaids thing, then that's his problem," Eddie replied. "And why the hell does it matter, anyway? Who cares if Raven doesn't like my jokes? Who cares if he doesn't like me?"

"It's not about Raven liking you or not. It's about--"

"You're not trying to impress him or something, are you?" Eddie smirked. "Sorry. Did I embarrass you in front of your new boyfriend?"

"He's not my boyfriend," I snapped.

"I know. I'm just fucking around," Eddie chuckled. "I know you don't swing that way. None of the guys in our family do. Seriously though, what kind of girls are you even into? I swear, I've never been able to figure out your type."

"That's because I don't have a type," I answered.

"What are you talking about? Every guy has a type," Eddie went on. "It doesn't have to be some deep, soulful connection or anything. It's like, some guys like brunettes, some guys like redheads, and they can build from there. For me, I like a woman with a good head on her shoulders, and dark hair down to her waist."

"I really don't think I have a type, Eddie," I repeated. "I think I just like what I like."

"Seriously?" Eddie sounded skeptical. "So, what? You've never seen a woman before and just felt like the entire world melted around her? A girl has never made your palms sweaty? Made you feel like you were going to be sick?"

As Eddie spoke, my mind went back to how I'd felt when I'd seen Raven at Neon City, when he'd been sitting beside me at the table.

He was the only person who'd ever made me feel that way, like the entire world was melting around him, like being right next to him was enough to make my hands shake, enough to rattle my nerves.

But I wasn't going to tell Eddie that. I wasn't ready to tell him.

I wasn't even ready to tell myself.

"Nope," I said, with a shrug. "I've never felt that way about a girl before."

"Not yet." Eddie smiled. "But one day, a woman is going to come into your life and turn everything upside down. And who knows? Maybe it'll be Irene Marseille."