Chapter 35: Not a Viking, Not a Son(Just a poor Imitation)

HICCUPS POV.

Hiccups shoes skidded across the ground almost like the ground under the souls of his shoes had turned to ice. In his mind for a brief second a memory flashed before his eyes. It was from when he was little, he couldn't have been more than three maybe four. It was winter so the entire island was covered in a fresh sheet of snow and Snoggletog cheer had been bustling all around the village. The previous night his father had thrown buckets of water down one of the sloped roads of Berk so now they were ice roads which although dangerous to walk on where fun to sled down.

It was one of the happiest memories Hiccup had ever shared with his father. They had spent that entire day sledding down the ice and laughing together. Of course there was one minor difference... when they had done it there had never been any weapons involved. Hiccups foot slid through the soot making him fall to the ground just as he tried to round the corner of a house to make it into an alley way. Above his head inches away an axe buried itself into the wall of a house.

"Catch him!" Yelled the cocky Viking who was chasing along after him along with the rest of his group after he had woken up. Hiccup ran down the alley way weaving in between dozens of houses some that were still engulfed in flames but no matter how hard he tried he couldn't loose his hunters. Probably because he left clear tracks in the inch of ash beneath his feet. "I will get you Night Rider!" He heard the man yell again although this time is sounded much closer. Two spears whirled past him one slicing through his right sleeve, luckily not cutting the skin.

"I would have never taken you for a coward Thief of the Vikings!" He yelled and other Vikings laughed in agreement. Hiccup didn't know how long they had been running for, or how many weapons had flown past him each one getting closer to hitting its mark. But it wasn't long before Hiccup was running low on stamina and he began to slow. "You doing okay up there Night Rider?" The cocky Viking asked sarcastically. "Looks like your going to be in need of a break soon. How about we stop and we'll all just have a nice clam discussion." He said and the rest of his party snickered and laughed an ugly and cruel laugh.

Hiccup was about to respond when he rounded a corner and hit something. A heavy thing that stopped him on the spot knocking him onto his rear. Hiccup wondered who it could be. A random Viking, his father, Gobber, or something worse? But when he opened his eyes he was overjoyed. "Hey bud!" He exclaimed wrapping his arms around Toothless's neck for a short hug. Toothless let out small chirps and snorts but Hiccup knew that he was happy to see him to. "I told you to stay at the house bud." Hiccup said scratching Toothless on the chin.

Toothless cooed back as if to say 'Astrid told you the same thing'. Toothless's pupils turned to slits and he gums retracted suddenly exposing his teeth as he turned his attention away from Hiccup and towards where he had come from. Toothless was still the only part on him that moved was part of his ear that twitched as he tried to listen although Hiccup already knew what he was hearing and it wasn't long before he could hear it too. The stomping boots and the sound of clanking metal.

"Bud you have to go." Hiccup said shoving Toothless but he wouldn't budge. "There after me not you." He said pushing his dragon with all his strength but he still wouldn't move from his spot. "Toothless you have to go or they will kill you." He tried again but this time Toothless shoved Hiccup away in his emerald green eyes Hiccup could see the message that his friend was trying to tell him. 'You go, I'll stay.' Hiccup began to speak but Toothless snarled and Hiccup knew he couldn't do anything to change his friends mind. "Stay safe." He said letting a single tear slip out from his eye under.

Toothless let out a snort and turned back towards the alley unfolding his wings to make himself seem large and threatening, as if he wasn't already. Hiccup turned around and ran and it wasn't long before he head a plasma blast and screams of surprise and panic. Where was he going? He needed to find Astrid, or his father. But where were either of them? If they were even still alive. The was a scream and Hiccup stopped running. Toothless roared off in the distant and there was the sound of arrows whistling through the air along with swords hitting against Toothless's tough hide and bouncing off.

How could he have left him? Toothless was his friend, his best friend. They had walked through Helheim and back together more than once and now he was facing people Hiccup had led right to him. No, no. He wouldn't leave him. Hiccup took of running towards Toothless. He wouldn't leave him alon-. A strong hand caught Hiccup by the arm making him fall to the ground at the sudden stop. "Hiccup!" Exclaimed his father wrapping him in a hug and removing his helmet as if checking if it were actually him. "Dad!" He said returning the hug but quickly ending it. "You have to help me save Toothless."

He said rushing towards the sound of fighting but his fathers strong grip stopped him. "No, not a chance! Not in your condition!" He said gesturing towards his appearance. His ash covered clothes that were completely burned away in some places. The bandage from his old wound that show'd through one of the holes in his shirt. Blood slowly oozing from a shallow gash on one of his shoulders that he was entirely sure how it got there. He had to agree with his father that he wasn't in the best condition. "It doesn't matter." He said. "He would do the same for me." He pulled away from his fathers grasp his father pulled his face close to his own anger burning in his eyes like something he had said hadn't sat well with the Viking Chieftain.

"He's nothing but a beast son!" His father exclaimed his voice as quite as the nighttime breeze but at the same time as loud as a thunder drum. "A beast that kills and destroys everywhere it goes!" He said directing Hiccups head towards the abundance of burning buildings around them. "But Toothless didn't do this." He retorted. "Yes but his kind did son!" Argued his father. "No, no they didn't. Not on their own. They we're being controlled." Hiccup said not thinking about what he was saying just saying it. "On their island, or at least one of them. There's this queen and she controls them! She makes them do this!" He rambled before his father gripped him by the shoulders making him stop talking his fathers eyes now filled with... determination.

"The nest!" He exclaimed. "You've been there? How did you find it?" He asked but Hiccup hesitated to answer. "How!" He pressured. "I didn't find it Toothless did. Only a dragon can find the nest." He said before he realized his mistake. "No Dad you can't, you won't." Hiccup said as his father released his grip. "Oh I will." He said turning around and walking slowly away the gears in his fathers head shifting constructing a plan. "No, no, no." He pleaded again but his dad wouldn't respond. "Please Dad." He said getting angrier. "For once and your life can you please just listen to me!" Hiccup exclaimed gripping his fathers wrist but his father pushed him to the ground and stared down upon his sons face.

His father slowly shook his head, the flames dancing across his scrofulous features. "Your no Viking," he said throwing Hiccup back his helmet "your not my son. Your just a poor imitation of him." He said sternly and Hiccup felt his heart sink inside his chest. "My son died years ago." He turned away and began to walk again. "And I plan on avenging him soon..."

(Authors Note)
Dun-dun-dun...
Okay which one is better for the title: "Not a Viking, Not a Son" or "Just a poor Imitation".