Chapter 23

YN was in the gym room a week later, four days before her cast could be removed. She was doing pull ups when Peter walked in, face nearly touching the screen of his phone.

"YN, can I ask you something?" He said, not looking away from the device.

"Yeah, kid?" She puffed out, shaky arm pulling her up again.

"How do I know if a girl is flirting with me or not?" He said, cocking his head to the side. YN grunted making Peter look up, catching sight of the struggling agent as she huffed out a "32". "Oh my-" Rushing over Peter wrapped his arms around YN's midsection, helping her back onto her feet.

"I had it, but thank you." YN said, reaching for her water bottle as she sat on the weights bench next to Peter. "Show me the message." She stated, making grabby hands toward the phone still planted in Peters hands. Handing over his phone, YN looked over the screen.

From MJ: You're an idiot Parker.

YN frowned before cracking a small smile. "Well," She started, handing the phone back to Peter. "It's hard to tell from one text. Does she call you an idiot a lot?" She questioned.

"All the time. MJ's actually really mean to me, but every time she is she has this smile on her face. I just don't know if it's a 'haha Peter you're so stupid' smile or a 'Peter you're so stupid haha' smile." He replied, looking down to his phone with a sigh.

YN frowned again, not really understanding the difference in his phrases. "Uh- well I'm not entirely sure what that means, and kids these days are strange enough as it is. But flirting has basics, she'll focus on you more. Laugh at jokes that no one else does, smile at you more, try and talk to you more than she used to." YN sighed. "Why are you asking me this anyway? I am the least romantic person in this place, and that's saying something because we live with Tony." Peter laughed, agreeing with her.

"I just thought, because you and MJ both have this, independent woman who takes no shit from men vibe, that you would know if she was flirting with me or actually calling me an idiot." YN smiled softly, reaching over to grab the teenager's hand.

"Look, just play it by ear, don't stress too much about it. From the sounds of it, you really like this girl?" She asks, taking Peter's nod as answer enough. "I say just tell her how you feel. If she likes you, you'll know and if she doesn't, I'll be waiting here with Ben and Jerry's Stark's Raving Hazelnuts Ice Cream." Peter laughed again, nodding his head. "And Peter, if she doesn't see how good of a kid you are, how special you are. She's blind as hell." Peter blushed at the attention, his eyes shooting down to the ground in embarrassment.

"Thanks, YN." Peter said, standing up. "You're like the sister I never had." Grinning, Peter left the room, attention invested back into his cell. YN blinked, chest feeling warm at his words. She never knew that a kid like Peter could wrap her around his finger so quick. He reminded her so much of her late brother. They'd had such a good relationship when they were kids, before the reality of their life snuck up on them.

Sniffling out a sob, YN rested her head in her hands. She hadn't thought about her family for a while, either too invested in missions or too caught up in her relationship with Steve. As she sat on the weights bench in the empty gym, all the fond memories, however limited, of her family rushed in. Some making her smile, others making her choke back sobs.

YN missed out on having that family. A mother she could call to tell her about her new beau. A father who would passive aggressively sniff out said beau's past. A brother that would annoy her but would also protect her. She wanted it so bad that it hurt. Finally, YN let out a soft whine, feeling sorry for herself. Her emotions got the better of her the more she thought about her past, tears sliding from her eyes without her really noticing.