A Letter

Atlas cursed himself for not doing a better job of paying attention. He had just come outside to get some fresh air before today's activities. And she was there. He caught her scent in passing. Before he hadn't smelled her, but instinctually he knew what she was supposed to smell like. And her scent was beautiful. Sweet, floral and spicey. So unique that it was forever ingrained in his soul.

"My prince," he whipped around. It was a messenger boy.

"Yes," he replied.

"This came for you, it's from the front lines," he held out a piece of parchment, the wax seal was easily recognizable as General Faustus'. Atlas took it immediately, giving the boy a gold coin in return.

His eyes skimmed over the letter. The good news was that he had his betrayer, the bad news was that there was damage control to enact. It would require another trip south. He would leave after the ball.

He already knew the group he'd take with him, Ander, Mykel, and Talon, but also Lord Faustus' son, Latimer, who was an excellent shot with the bow and Raylen, an older member of his guard that had served his father as well.

He hurried back to the palace, knowing that this information would be of importance to share with his mother.

He found her in the gardens with her ladies. He dismissed them.

"I'm leaving again, mother, there is business I have to attend to in the south once more,"

"So soon? I had hoped to keep you here until you found your mate," she sighed.

"That's not important right now," he said.

"I would hate to see you dead before you have an heir my dear," he knew his father's death had been detrimental to his mother's health, but lately it had begun to show a lot more. In her mannerisms especially.

"I will stay for the ball, but two days after I must leave," the finality in his tone was evident and she didn't have an argument.

"If it must be so. I still don't approve of the riff raff you surround yourself with, namely that boy. You'll end protecting him instead of him protecting you," she said.

"He bested me, mother, and only a scarce few have ever been able to do that, please leave that situation alone," he had to bite his tongue in frustration. She was becoming repetitive in her arguments lately.

"Walk with me back to my chambers, my son," she lifted an arm and he took it.

"I have run this country as smoothly as possible since your father's death, and I just want to see you and it secure before I pass," emotion stung in his throat. He knew already that it was a miracle she'd lived as long as she had after the passing of her mate, but the inevitability of her death still hadn't registered in him.

She was withering away for certain. She seemed smaller and more withdrawn than she used to. Her power was diminishing right before his eyes. He had to act now before she passed. He had to find his mate so she would be at peace. And he had to end this war so the world would be at peace.